Monday, June 06, 2011

Random Updates

Life has been a bit hectic since the last time I posted.  Here's the rundown.
  • The Conference: it went really well.  In fact, it may have been one of the best conference experiences I've ever had, if not the best.  My paper, which I did finish in plenty of time, went over fairly well.  I'm not sure it was put in the best panel it could have been, but I got really good input.  I made two really good contacts, which makes me happy.  Beyond that I met some really interesting people, I got names of two people who work on an author that I work on, and I also met several publishers who seemed interested in my manuscript idea.  I also got to spend lots of time with my good friend Harrogate, and that made the whole trip worthwhile.
  • The House: it officially goes on the market tomorrow.  And the damn thing has never looked so good, which really sort of pisses me off.  I mean, seriously.  Every room, save the laundry room, has now been painted.  We have new carpeting on the third floor.  The entire kitchen has been redone (which was done a while ago, but Archer finally finished off a few small things).  Every surface has been scrubbed/dusted/vacuumed/mopped.  It is insanely organized (which is something that we both agreed we need to keep up with).  Aside from the fact that all of my personal items are packed away, I love how it looks.
  • House Hunting: this is still officially on hold as we've decided to wait to see what we'll get for our place.  We're committed to staying very close to the list price, so here's hoping that happens.  There are a few houses listed in our price range in the areas we're most interested in, and I'm hoping they will either still be on the market or that there will be new listings by the time our place sells.
  • My research: I've got a few things going.  Apparently the conference paper that I wrote wasn't as crappy as I thought.  I need to do a lot more research, but it takes me away from the sort of thing I've been doing lately.  Also, if I turn this paper into something, it will represent the first substantial piece of work I've done since completing the doctorate.  I think that will give me a big ego boost.
  • The boys: Wild Man is handling all the moving/packing/house selling stress well.  He is determined that moving means we can have a dog!  We'll handle the moving school issue once we definitely know where he'll be going to school.  Bear, who turns two in two weeks, is doing less well.  He's cutting his two-year molars, as well as all four eye teeth.  He and Wild Man had been sleeping in the same bedroom for the last ten months, and we recently separated them.  Wild Man barely noticed, but Bear really seems to miss his brother.  He had a string of restless nights last week, but this weekend, he finally seems to have settled down a bit.
  • The extended family: my mom will be here for a visit in about ten days, and it looks as though my sister and her children will drive up for Bear's birthday.  That means we'll have a house full of people while our house is on the market.  Archer asked me if I thought that was such a great idea.  Indeed, I do not, but our families come to visit so rarely that I do not want to discourage them.  Yetta has planned some things for our visit to Home State.  This sort of thing drives me insane, as it makes me feel like my time is not my own, but I've decided to go with it.  Clearly, this visit (and similar ones) have little to do with me (and yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic here).  I think it will be less stressful on everyone if I give up a little control and just roll with the punches.  Of course, it may not be less stressful on me, but I'll give it a try.
That's where I am.  I've been thinking about a future post that is somewhat related to what I study, and we'll see if I manage to write that at some point in the future.

No comments: