Thursday, November 09, 2006

Chasing Perfection

I'm still planning my post on what I'm going to refer to as "The Secrets of New Motherhood," but I've been thinking a lot about something else recently--perfection. First, as a good friend recently reminded me, I know I wasn't perfect before becoming a mother, but I have always had very high expectations of myself. As many academics, I am an overachiever, and I naively assumed that I would be able to bounce back from labor and having a new baby in a relatively short amount of time. The truth is, S will be three weeks old tomorrow, and I've only been able to get out of my pjs before noon three times. My sister, who stayed with us the first few days S was home, told me I'd be lucky to get a shower before 3 some days. Well, frankly I've given up on the whole showering in the morning thing! Now, I shower before bed, and I feel brilliant for having figured that one out. Of course, by 3, I want another shower as I'm hot and sweaty from nuring all day, and usually covered in breastmilk--but that is another issue altogether.

My need to be an overachiever made for a few difficult days. I thought I could still do it all, and quite honestly, I couldn't, and I still can't. Being a mother is equally wonderful and exhausting, but motherhood and perfection are not ideas that belong in the same sentence. C and I have talked about this a lot, and we've both come to the conclusion that motherhood is still something that is seen as natural and intuitive. And as a new mother, I can honestly say that it isn't necessarily either of those things. Just because S and I share DNA doesn't mean I automatically know what to do when he cries or fusses or won't sleep. I thought it would. I felt like (and to a certain extent still feel like) I should know how to fix things when something was wrong. But what I'm slowly realizing, after a few sleepless nights, a fair amount of tears, and lots of conversations with a very hands-on husband and father, is S doesn't even know what is wrong with him most of the time. I should expect myself to automatically know either. The reality of new motherhood (and perhaps of motherhood in general) is that it is as hard as it is wonderful. I'm thankful it only took me 3 weeks to figure that one out.

2 comments:

L said...

Oh, M, it's so fascinating to read you and be back vicariously at those first few weeks!! I'm almost done reading Mother Shock and the things you're writing are exactly the issues discussed in the book. Perfection and motherhood or parenting not belonging in the same sentence, let alone in life? Bingo! Not being able to figure out what's going on with the baby? Bingo! The "secrets" of motherhood that nobody talks about? BINGO - the central part of the book, etc, etc, etc.

I'm really looking forward to your posts. I'm undergoing a "similar" phase -- a kind of very late onset "mother-shock" crisis...

Well, let me stop talking about me right this minute. Do "enjoy" every (other) minute of your experience (to quote Buchanan's book), because you'll never live it again. Oh, how I wish I was already blogging back then!

M said...

Lilian,
It is so helpful to read your comments and to know that what I'm feeling is "normal," whatever that means. I plan to pick up Mother Shock when I get a chance--and can read something other than books on nursing!