Saturday, November 25, 2006

Conflicted

I've been doing some reading about the FDA's recent decision to lift the ban on silicone breast implants, and I have to admit I'm conflicted about this decision. Personally, I think implants are a bit silly--I think it is important to be satisfied with one's body. That said, I don't think I have the right to tell another woman that she shouldn't get implants. So when I read FDA Approval of Dangerous Implants During Lame Duck Session Follows FDA Pattern of Favoring Money and Politics Over Science, I was somewhat conflicted. First of all, I've done some research on the science--there isn't any real scientific evidence linking silicone to any illnesses suffered by the women who experienced leaks in the past. Second, and here is where my real conflict comes in, it is a woman's choice to get implants as much as it is her choice to have an abortion, have a child, or use birth control. It seems to me that the FDA has made women aware of the potential risks, and many, many women (about 300,000 a year if I remember the stat correctly) choose to get implants, and many women prefer silicone to saline. The NOW article annoys me for the same reason that articles about the "Mommy Wars" irritate me. Many feminists (and I proudly call myself a feminist and plan to raise my son to be one as well) seem to forget that the purpose of feminism was to give women more choices, not to limit their choices or, worse, castigate them for their choices that some see as anti-feminist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They don't seem to mention that these new silicone implants are made of an adhesive gel. They don't leak into the body if they rupture, they just become a goopy mess in the breast--which can be removed.

While I don't have implants, I'm certainly not opposed to them--or any other plastic surgery for that matter. I think the important thing is for individuals seeking plastic surgery to do their research! That way an informed decision can be made one way or the other.

Besides, when my breasts are no longer filled with milk, and they become sad little empty sacks (like my belly), I might be wishing I had the money and nerve to buy some nice, firm breasts and a flat stomach :)