Monday, November 20, 2006

Things about motherhood no one can prepare you for . . .

My friend Supadiscomama has commented on my posts "Things no one tells you about motherhood." She pointed out that even if she had told me all of these things I likely wouldn't have understood or even believed her until S was born. I think she may be right, so I'm changing the title of these posts (and I have no idea how many more I'll write about--I think this could go on forever).

So the #1 thing about motherhood that no one can prepare you for . . . falling in love with your husband/partner all over again. C and I have a wonderful relationship. He really is everything I could ask for in a partner, although I do wish he would learn to put his shoes away! That said, he has been so great with S. Watching the two of them together, I've gotten to know a whole new side of my husband, a side I suspected existed but had no real proof of. He is a wonderful father. When C has S, I know I should be taking advantage of those precious moments to myself to get something done--even if it is just a shower! But I'd rather watch the two of them together. Watching C sing silly songs to S while he is changing a diaper, seeing C rub S's feet on his goatee, and especially watching them sleep together--these are the things that make me smile lately.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really is so wonderful to see your husband as a daddy. I love to watch Mr. Supadiscomama with our little monkey. Becoming a family of three has brought us so much closer as a couple, I think. I think our Supadiscobaby brings out the best in both of us.

And we're so lucky to have so many people to share these experiences with!

harrogate said...

Harrogate cannot wait to see C with S, the very thought turns him all grinny and silly.

L said...

Oh, yes, it's really wonderful to see one's husband with the baby. For me it was also beautiful to see my dad with my sons (they both love him as a second mother), how he'd sing silly lullabies in his slightly out of tune singing voice.

I have many pictures of my husband sleeping with the baby. these are priceless moments.