Friday, November 03, 2006

Reminder

As typing isn't as easy as it once was (not with S attached to the breast), I wanted to post a reminder to myself to blog about some things when I have more time--although I'm beginning to wonder when that will be. First, I want to talk about the things women don't tell other women about labor and child birth, and then I want to write about what I will call the academic/over-achieving woman's overly high expectations of herself after child birth. I'm still mulling these things over, but I hope to be able to write about them soon.

On a different note, we're doing well, despite the lack of sleep. It is amazing how quickly your brain adjusts to only 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night--with 1 or 2 much needed naps throughout the day.

4 comments:

L said...

Oh, I remember those days fondly... I was extremely lucky, though, because my mom and dad were here to help me out both times. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the expectations versus reality for birth and labor. I had very good experiences, perhaps because I didn't expect that much. Both my birth stories are posted in the blog, if you have some time, check them out (reading is easier than typing, isn't it) - one was posted on 3/9/06 and the other 5/30/06.

Thanks for the lovely comment you left to my long post of a few days ago. It's truly lovely to be able to connect with other people through blogging, isn't it?

Well, I wish you strength for these first few months. It is tough, but it does go by pretty fast. And... no, it doesn't get any easier, the problems just change as they get older :)

L said...

May I recommend a book that may "help" in your transition? Andi Buchanan's Mother Shock. I've been meaning to read it for years now and I just got it in the mail this afternoon (I realize it's a little too late for me, but I think I've been suffering of some kind of "late onset mother shock"). It's great, you should check it out.

L said...

Oh, and her full name is Andrea Buchanan. She's got a blog, called Mother Shock too... (it's in my blogroll), oh, and I've met her, she lives here in Philly.

whymommy said...

Welcome to motherhood!

Raising kids is an amazing and exciting time, and I wish you all the best.

Don't be too hard on yourself the first few months -- you've been through an extremely tough physical and mental ordeal -- harder even than defending your dissertation!

Good luck -- and take time to enjoy it!