Friday, September 12, 2008

A better outlook

Apparently the secret to a better attitude is venting as well as consciously trying to have a better attitude. After yesterday's post, I sucked up my bad attitude and tried to work. I started by rereading my chapter, hoping the work I've already done would inspire me to complete the next section. Lo and behold, I found a connection I'd completely forgotten about, and I was suddenly able to finish the section I've been working on for two weeks. I wrote about 3 pages yesterday, as well as revised another section.

I then took some time for me and went running (well, sort of) for the first time since we've been in CU Land. On top of all of that Wild Man only woke up once last night, which means I was able to get caught up on my sleep. He did fuss a bit at drop off this morning, but rather than clinging to either me or C he went right to his teacher and asked for a hug. I've run a few necessary errands this morning, and I am now going to the library (since I finally have a CU id card) to check out books. Keep your fingers crossed that I can keep up this positive attitude.

2 comments:

thursdaynext.21 said...

I totally support you on the frustration thing. I'm going to follow your lead and try to vent out my issues.

And I miss you guys, by the way.

Lilian said...

YES: "Apparently the secret to a better attitude is venting as well as consciously trying to have a better attitude." That's it! I couldn't have said it better.

I find it hard to "artificially" keep a positive attitude.

Besides, you have to take into account that moving into another country and very far from family and friends (something I'm VERY familiar with having done it over five times since 1996...) is very difficult and you have to be very kind with yourself, C, and even Wild Man. You're all adapting to a new situation in life.

Missing friends is by far the worst thing. I didn't get "cured" from it until I began making real connections through blogging three years ago. Before then, I talked about going back to Brazil very often.