Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Bye-bye, Mommy

That is what Wild Man said to me this morning after C and I dropped him off for his first day at his new school. We've been visiting for 2 weeks, so he was well prepared for this. He had a moment when he realized we were leaving, but as soon as his teachers told him to line up to go outside, he ran over to the door. Then he turned to me and waved as he said, "Bye-bye, Mommy." Then he walked through the school and put his "bum on the door" just as he was instructed.

Drop off for me was not so easy. It was not as difficult as the very first time I took him to school, but still, it was a little upsetting. As we walked to the car, I wiped away a few tears, and C asked me why I was upset. I love my husband so much, but I swear he just doesn't get it. To him, this means more freedom to work; it means that Wild Man will be in a safe environment where he will be having fun; and it means that he doesn't have to try to juggle caring for an active toddler while writing or prepping or the like. While it also means all of those things for me, it also means that I will be away from my boy. I am excited to get back to work--I've not been sleeping well the last week because I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about my dissertation--but I actually liked being home with Wild Man. So I told C that it will just take a little while for me to get used to the new schedule. Today, I'll be thinking of my little guy a lot.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I can empathize! Second week for me of childcare, and I still cried this morning when I dropped off La Dudarina.

M said...

I think what will make adjusting harder for me is that tomorrow Wild Man will be home with me all day, and then he goes back to school Thursday and Friday.

And hang in there, kate! It does get easier, especially when you see how much fun La Dudarina has with her caregiver.

Lilian said...

I can sympathize more than empathize since the first time we dropped Kelvin off at school (actually K did) was for him to go to kindergarten, so... I guess our situation is quite unique. All thanks to the home care provided by my parents. I will never be able to thank them enough for that, of course...