Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wild Man Earns a Stripe; or, Adventures in Canadian Medicine


As you all know, my son is, well, a bit wild. C and I often describe him as a bull in a china shop. He is not clumsy or awkward, but he is full of energy. That energy is often difficult to contain, and it frequently results in bumps, scrapes, and bruises. Monday night the energy led to more than a bump or a bruise. Monday night I think my Wild Man may have actually earned his stripes.

Monday evening Wild Man helped C organize our recycling and carry it to the curb while I cleaned up the kitchen after dinner. This actually means that Wild Man ran circles around our garage while C organized the recycling. Afterward they took a shower together, which is something that they do a few times a week. It gets them both clean, it saves a bit of time, and it even saves a bit of water. Near the end of the shower, I went and sat in the bathroom, so that I could quickly grab Wild Man up and dry him off. As I got into the bathroom and as C was preparing to turn the water off, Wild Man began picking up his toys. Just as he put his boat in the corner of the tub, he lost his balance (despite standing on a full length bath mat) and fell, hitting his face on the wall of the tub. He has done this many times before; no matter how many times we caution him to be careful or to ask for help in the tub, he often insists on doing things himself, and he occasionally falls. Monday night, however, he hit his face right above his eye, and he cut himself. As C bent to pick him up and hold him, he said "Get a cloth now." My husband is not prone to panic at all, but at that moment, I heard panic in his voice. I quickly grabbed a cloth, gave it to C, and calmly waited for Wild Man to calm down. Within a minute, he had calmed down enough so that C could look at his face. C visibly relaxed as he said, "It is just a cut. I thought he had hurt his eye." I asked if we needed to go to the emergency room, and C answered, "I think so." I wrapped Wild Man in a towel and took him from C. As I held him, I dried him off and tried to look at his eye, which he understandably didn't want me anywhere near. When I was finally able to get a good look, I saw a fairly long gash about half an inch above the crease in Wild Man's eye. It was still bleeding, but it had slowed considerably. I said to C "I'm not sure if they'll do anything, but given the location, I think we should have it looked at." So C got dressed and gathered some things to amuse Wild Man while I dressed him and tried to explain what was going to happen. Wild Man could have cared less to be quite honest. He dutifully held an ice pack against his head while I put his shoes and socks on, but then he asked "Mommy, please read Babar?" I told him we'd read it in the car, as I carried him downstairs.

About 20 minutes after he cut himself, we were standing in the emergency room of the closest hospital. C looked from the crowded room to me and said "Are we sure this is the right thing to do?" I said, "Well, we're here now." The receptionist pointed us to another room, and we quickly realized that this hospital has a separate ER for kids--and it moved much faster than the ER for adults, which was the one we had initially entered. A nurse quickly triaged Wild Man, as I completed the paperwork, and then we sat down to wait. After about 45 minutes, Wild Man's name was called, and we went back to an exam room. Within another 5 minutes a doctor came by, took a brief look at Wild Man, and told us that the cut was superficial and not deep at all. He was, however, concerned about scarring, especially given the location. He recommended stitches, although he admited that they were primarily cosmetic, especially given that the cut was already beginning to scab over. C and I looked at each other briefly before we both agreed. Within another 5 minutes the doctor had returned with a nurse and a med student. The nurse wrapped Wild Man up like a mummy, instructed C to lie across his legs, while she held his head. I put my hands on his face and told him to focus on me, as I began to sing any song I could think of. I also tried my best to keep Wild Man calm and not to cry myself. The doctor, who was seriously lacking in bedside manner, gave Wild Man a shot of lidocaine and then 3 stitches in about 5 minutes, all while methodically explaining every step to the med student. As soon as Wild Man was out of the blanket and in my arms, he calmed down and said "Mommy, that mean doctor!" which made us all laugh. The doctor gave us a few instructions, and we were on our way home. Wild Man was in bed and asleep about 45 minutes after his usual bed time. Yesterday, aside from some fussing when we had to put medicine on his stitches, he was his old self.

I also have to say that our first experience with the Canadian hospital system, which is notoroisly slow, was relatively painless. I'm sure if C or I had been the patient, we would have had to wait much longer, but the nurses seemed especially focused on moving the children through very quickly. While all of us would have preferred not to have had this experience at all, we're quite pleased with the level of care Wild Man received. But C and I are seriously thinking of buying him a helmet to wear at all times. . .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy!

Anonymous said...

OMG!! So sorry for the scare! Glad Wild Man wasn't terribly hurt and that the docs were able to help him. BTW- I am not letting D know about this incident. It would give him too much satisfaction. He is constantly telling (err..more like yelling at) R to sit down while he's in the bathtub, even if he's just standing there,as he does not want him to slip and fall. I, on the other hand, being the less cautious parent, tend to roll my eyes at D since it's not like R is actually jumping up and down or anything while he's in the bathtub. But I will take this incident as a warning. Poor Wild Man. We're sending our hugs and kisses to him.

M said...

But I also bet you and D instruct R to put his toys away, which necessitates some standing and moving. And Wild Man was doing just that. I really don't know what to do with this kid of mine aside from wrapping him in bubble wrap, and that doesn't seem like much fun.

AcadeMama said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M said...

*Following is Academama's comment, modified in a fairly lame attempt to maintain privacy.

Wild Man's in good company. Eliza was in the ER for more than half the day on Sunday after waking up in the middle of the night struggling to breathe. Many breathing treatments, oxygen tubes, steroids, and chest x-rays later, it looks like she had a mild (and sudden) case of pneumonia. The ER is never a fun place to be with kids, no matter the scenario.

Maybe Wild Man will think a helmet from Santa is great fun! Hope you guys have a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow (if you're celebrating)!

M said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Eliza. That sounds much scarier than what we experienced. I hope she's feeling better now.

Oxymoron said...

Bummer. Glad he's okay.

Lilian said...

Yikes!! I'm glad that your experience was so positive. It sounds to me that it took actually LESS than it would take at an ER here in the U.S.

LOL about the helmet!