Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Getting over anger

Apparently this is the morning for using my blog to vent.

C made a fairly reasonable request of me last night, but one that I'm struggling to figure out how to address. He asked that I figure out some way to get over my recent and (at times) almost all-consuming anger at his mother. He recognized that I am, mostly, fully justified in my anger, but he said it makes it difficult on him. I know this, and I have repeatedly apologized to him for my current state of mind regarding his mother. But I also freely admit I have made no attempt to get past my anger, and if anything, my anger has grown.

Why am I so angry at Yetta? It's long and complex. The reasons include the typical ones most daughters-in-law site for being angry with their mothers-in-law. She is overbearing, intrusive, self-centered, and manipulative. She often says things without thinking that are hurtful, spiteful, and downright mean. She almost never apologizes, and if she does, it is typically in a back handed way that lets me know that she is insincere. I've dealt with this for years, and while these things are a source of irritation, I can handle them. What I really resent is the fact that she has recently lied directly to me and has begun saying negative things about me to C. For his part, C does tell her that he doesn't want to hear any of these negative things and that her comments are completely inappropriate. She, however, continues with the comments after a short respite. Frankly, I can also deal with this; I mean, really, whatever, she can think whatever she wants to think about me, or at least usually. She has, however, begun espousing an opinion that I find completely intolerable as it insults me, my parents, my upbringing, and whatever semblance of a relationship I have with her.

She has said, repeatedly, in the past year, that my family and I do not seem to value family as much as she does (to be fair, she says the exact same thing about my sister-in-law, C's brother's wife). She is so sure of this, in fact, that she has rearranged her finances to ensure that neither J, my SIL, or I will ever have to take care of her in her old age. I can tolerate this sort of thing when she says it to C, although it does piss me off. But I reason as long as she doesn't say it to me, I'm not going to worry about it as I don't really have to respond. During our visit at Christmas, though, she made this very statement to me. She then added that she resented that I put my family before her and that I am not appropriately thankful for all she does. Oh, and then she said, my parents never include her in anything and that she knows I say awful things to my mother about her all the time. She then claimed to have never said anything negative about me to anyone. These statements were made in the course of what I thought was going to be a productive conversation between just the two of us, a conversation that was initiated by something she said that made C so angry he left the room and refused to come back for the remainder of the evening (as an aside, I tried to retreat with him, but he was so angry he wanted to be alone for fear he would say something mean to me. His mom's house is small; I had no choice but to hang out in the kitchen alone with her until C calmed down.).

Truth be told, the conversation started off well. She talked, I listened, primarily b/c she was trying to understand C's anger at her very ignorant comment and I wasn't about to try to explain her son to her. Then she started making these comments about me and my family. And frankly, I lost it. I did manage to not sound angry, but I responded to every single comment--even telling her that, in fact, I do know almost every negative thing she has ever said about me b/c C tells me about many of the comments. She didn't even respond to most of the things I said, which included the fact that my parents no longer invite her over to their home b/c they don't like entertaining and b/c she has refused their invitations so many times they no longer see the point in ever offering. After I made my points, the conversation went elsewhere, and I eventually excused myself and went to bed, believing that perhaps we had actually started to understand each other. It seems I was wrong.

Recently her comments about me and my "hatred" of family have become increasingly more frequent, so frequent in fact that she has two visits planned in the next few months but has made it very clear that she will be coming when I'm out of town so as "not to interfere with my work schedule." C has said he thinks this is thoughtful, but I told him that is her passive agressive way of reminding me that she's still pissed at me for saying that extended family isn't a priority right now b/c I've got to finish my dissertation. And so, my anger increases, and I inadvertently take it out on C. I've got to find a way to deal with it, a way that doesn't include talking to my mother-in-law because, frankly, I've tried it before and it doesn't work. I've tried changing my behavior, and that also doesn't work. I had hoped that writing about it here would help, but alas, I'm just pissed all over again. I really, really want to like this woman b/c she is my husband's mother. She loves Wild Man dearly, and I know she will feel the same about Z. I want to have a healthy relationship with her b/c I don't want to dread every single visit we make to her house. But I honestly have no idea how to accomplish that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can definitely sympathize with your feelings right now. Although I don't have a MIL, I do have an overbearing mother and a passive aggressive SIL. Both of which know how to push my buttons. Letting go of my anger is one of the hardest things I've had to do (and still continue to do), but well worth it. I know it takes two to tango and it would be nice to see your MIL make some effort to not make hurtful remarks to you, but in the end, you can't control others actions. Only your own.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy. I am sorry, these things are difficult and I am not good at them either. All I can offer is what helps me. I say start with what you have that is good. She loves your son. (And you want her to be able to have a relationship with him that is about their relationship and not your relationship, I assume.) She loves your husband. (And you love your husband and want to do what you can to make life happy for him.) And maybe that is all that is in the positive column for now, but they're not insignificant things.

As for finding a way to let go of your anger, does it help to think that her anger affects you (and C potentially) in a negative way, but doesn't actually directly impact her at all? Can you say to yourself that her issues are her issues and truly have nothing to do with you and your family? She is the way she is and probably isn't going to change. Sometimes the cost of being right isn't worth what you get in return. At least these are the types of things I try to say to myself.

And, this is the one that is most effective for me anyway, try to remember that someday you will be the mother-in-law. You are obviously not a bad person, nor an unreasonable person, nor difficult to get along with, etc. But you will very likely (just statistically speaking here) get on your daughter-in-law's nerves (and vice versa). People are different and sometimes it's just easier to chalk these things up to differences than to a) try to determine fault or b) even to try to see eye-to-eye.

Finally, count your blessings: there is a plane ride between you. Sometimes that's all we have to fall back on, and it's not an insignificant thing either.

Lilian said...

Wow, amen to all Jennie said!