Thursday, June 04, 2009

Birthday Update

Yesterday was my birthday, and I really thought that Z would make an appearance yesterday. I was born on my grandfather's birthday, so I have thought for some time now that Z might show up on our birthday to give us something extra to celebrate. Apparently she wants to keep us guessing, so we're still waiting.

Despite still being pregnant, I had a lovely birthday. Wild Man woke me up by singing "Happy Birthday" to me, and he and C made me breakfast--toast, cereal, and sliced strawberries. After we dropped Wild Man off at school, C and I went to price kitchen cabinets. I know this isn't particularly exciting to most people, but the chain home improvement store in town is discontinuing a nice line of cabinets. Thus, we can replace the cabinets in our house for around $700. The problem is that since the line is discontinued we have to make do with whatever is in stock. We spent over an hour figuring out what they have and don't have and trying to locate the missing pieces at another store, which is in a town about an hour away.

After leaving the land of kitchen cabinets, we ran some other errands and then had a lovely lunch at a Thai restaurant I've been wanting to try for a while. We opted not to have a family dinner because I wanted to go to a nicer restaurant. We also opted not to hire a babysitter and to go out for the evening because I'm just not up for late nights right now. In the end, this restaurant, which was a bit upscale, was a good compromise. We had a lovely grown-up lunch, lingering over appetizers and entrees and talking for over an hour and a half. Now if we don't get to celebrate our anniversary in any significant way, I don't think either of us will feel cheated.

After lunch, C dropped me off at a nearby Starbucks, where I read and worked for awhile, and he returned to the home improvement store to purchase the cabinets we needed and they had in stock. Then he picked me up, and we went to a midwife appointment. We learned that Z is still quite low (which I knew), but that her head is not yet engaged. The midwife warned me this may not happen until I'm in labor. I find it hard to believe her head isn't engaged since I'm experiencing so much pressure in my pelvis, but whatever. Then we picked up Wild Man and went to the park for a while. We got home around 5, made pasta for dinner, and had yummy ice cream cake for dessert. After Wild Man went to bed, C and I watched a movie and snuggled on the couch. All in all, it was a low-key birthday, which is exactly what I wanted. And we have over 3/4 of the ice cream cake left, so I get to celebrate for quite a few more days!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

New kitchen cabinets sound like an awesome birthday present to me! Glad you had such a great day. And impressive that dropping you off to do work was also part of your perfect day. I probably would have skipped that part and gone for a pedicure if I were you....shocking that you have a Ph.D. and I am a drop out, isn't it?

Lilian said...

Oh, what a lovely birthday! Really... even the kitchen cabinet purchasing is exciting for me, so nice!

Now, here's an interesting coincidence, just a few days before Linton was born I went to a Thai restaurant for the first time in my life. I really loved the food! I think we went for K's birthday, though (which is 4 days before Linton's).

Oh, and about birth dates, in K's family most birthdays, except for my youngest BIL, occur in the same month, the only shared birthday, though is mine and my youngest nephew. K was born 3 days after his dad's birthday and Linton refused to share a birthday with either grandpa or daddy ;-). And my oldest nephew was born the day after my mother-in-law's birthday (and most other birthdays in the family come in pairs or trios on various months).

Anyway... I don't blame Z for not wanting to share her birthday with you. It will be nice, though, to have both birthdays on the same month!

Sorry -- I write too much! ;-)

M said...

June is certain a month of celebrations in our family, both immediate and extended. My birthday is the same day as my grandfather's, my uncle's birthday is mid-month, our anniversary is late in the month, my mom and her sister share a birthday, which is also the day my parents got married. Add Father's Day to the mix, and it is a busy month for us!

And you don't write too much!