Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Weepy

I'm feeling a bit weepy today. Truth be told, I've been feeling a bit weepy for the past few days. Lots of things make me want to cry, especially things connected to Wild Man. In the past month or so, it has really hit home how much he has grown up.

He is almost completely potty-trained. He always pees on the toilet, and he poops on it about 85% of the time. While a lot of this is due to mine and C's effort to make sure he goes, he is getting much better about telling us when he has to do. He can dress himself, aside from buttoning buttons and zipping zippers. He can even get his shoes on himself, although he still confuses which feet they go on regularly. And in the milestone we've been working toward for so long: he consistently sleeps through the night and puts himself to sleep. This is a big accomplishment in our household. All of these things are great, and I'm very proud of my little guy. But he is definitely not a baby anymore. He's lost most of his baby chub with his most recent growth spurt. He is about 35 inches tall and weighs about 33 pounds. He constantly tells me, "Mommy, I do it myself." He has never been much of a snuggler, and he is even less of one now. He is very free with hugs and kisses, but he won't sit on my lap (or what is left of it) for any length of time. As if all of that weren't enough, he is fascinated by C. Whereas he used to want to be with me all the time (and yes, I remember complaining about it), now he follows C around and does everything he sees his father doing. I'm quite happy that he is attaching himself to C, as it will definitely make the transition easier once Baby Z arrives, but it makes part of me a little sad.

On top of missing my baby boy, I'm also feeling some guilt about having a second child. On some level, I feel like we're doing Wild Man a huge disservice by having a second child, at least financially. If we were a family a three, we'd be able to give him a lot more--in terms of education, of travel, of life experience. Being a family of four, those things are necessarily going to be harder. C's reassures me that this won't necessarily be the case. After all, given our professions and his particular field of study, our kids will have a lot of life experiences we didn't have as children. But financially things will be harder, at least a bit. And then I feel guilty for thinking maybe we shouldn't have decided to have a second child. It's this horrible cycle, which I'm hoping will end once I meet Z and hold her for the first time. But I keep thinking, what if all I can think about when the midwife gives her to me for the first time is Wild Man? What if I don't have the immediate love for her that I had for him? What if I like him better? And I want to cry again.

I'm really hoping all of this is just pregnancy hormones and that all of these doubts and fears will go away once Z arrives.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to invalidate what you're feeling, but I do want to say that I felt exactly the same way. i seriously could have written this sentence: "I feel like we're doing [Kizzy] a huge disservice by having a second child" except the feeling didn't hit me until after Thumper was born. Now all I can think is how much richer all of our lives are because we have her. And yes, given your professions he will have

as for the immediate love thing, I did not have the same immediate connection with Thumper that I had with Kizzy. It took me about 3 weeks to get over labor (awful labor experience, which you very well may not have) and another couple of months to really start to connect with her. It did take a while, but you know...it was okay. It really is okay.

So I feel you. It may not all go away as soon as she arrives. But I really do believe it will be okay.

M said...

Thanks, Anastasia. And rather than invalidating my feelings I feel like you validated them. This entire second pregnancy has been an entirely different experience. I feel removed from it to some extent, and I attribute that feeling to all my focus on my dissertation. I have frequently said to C that I wish I was excited about this pregnancy as I was about Wild Man. I am excited about meeting this little girl, but there are definitely a lot of other emotions swirling around too.

Lilian said...

You know... I had the same worries, and I wish I'd been blogging them so you could have access to some of my thoughts... I did journal and I'll just look at some of the things I wrote and (if I find the time) come back to comment again.

I agree with you and Anastasia that I felt less connected to the second baby and it was harder in the beginning because I felt I knew Kelvin so much better and had a relationship with him, but not with Linton. The one thing that made things easier was that I had a TERRIBLE time in Kelvin's first month, jaundice, not latching, pumping exclusively for a month before learning to latch and breastfeed (thankfully I didn't need to use formula). Then, things were SUPER easy with Linton. So easy that I flew from Massachusetts to Texas for my BIL's wedding when he was 6 days old, I know, crazy!

Anyway... you will bond with her, even if it takes a little longer. You will feel a bit divided in the first days, but that will pass, and I'm sure everyone in the family will love having her and your family life will be so much richer.

Now, the financial worry is the main reason why K doesn't want us to have another child... but I think that 2 is OK. I think it's sad to be an only child... you'll see how great it is when they can play together.

OK, I'm rambling now, sorry... I write too much! I hope this helps a tiny bit.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if this link will work in a comment, but Emily Cassee recently wrote a nice post about similar feelings she experienced, not just during pregnancy but after her daughter was born. Perhaps it will help you to feel better now, and especially if things don't change the minute you meet Z, because I think these are very typical feelings (which I say out of support, not to minimize how you're feeling).

I think I loved Luke immediately and intensely, but not in the same way that I loved him after I really began to feel he was my son and that I was his mother. And those feelings were not as deep as the way I loved him after I felt like I really knew him and we had a personal connection, beyond a biological connection. Although at every stage I couldn't have imagined I could love him more, because I had never felt that type of intense parental love before and had nothing to compare it to, but indeed the love continued to grow beyond what I had been able to imagine. With a second child, perhaps there is a danger of comparing your already deepened sense of love for your first child with the new love you have for a second child, without consciously remembering how that parental love grew more intense over time. Emily relays what I am trying to say much better through examples as simple as Flintstone vitamins, and she offers herself as proof that parental love soon equalizes and as validation that you are not alone in your feelings.

http://www.parents.com/dgroups/persona.jsp?userId=58b3f2a4019467fdb6f9be8176d8dfd8&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a58b3f2a4019467fdb6f9be8176d8dfd8Post%3afb72325f-0141-4966-9d72-6d4712bd2af9

Anonymous said...

Okay, the link did not work, but if you go to Emily's personal blog (http://captainhambone.typepad.com) there is a link in her left sidebar. Under "I also blog at Parents.com" is a post titled, "These are things I've never told anyone."

Lilian said...

Wow, Jennie, thanks for that link, what an awesome post! I can totally relate! I think I could/should writing something similar, since my youngest son's birthday just passed.

M said...

Thanks for the link, Jennie. That definitely makes a lot of sense to me, even though Z isn't born yet. I know so much about Wild Man, and I know nothing about Z. The closer it gets to her birth I also realize I'm incredibly nervous about having a daughter. My mom and I don't have the best relationship, and my sister has made a lot of the same mistakes with her daughter (who is 14) that our mom made with us. These seems to be cyclical, and I'm very afraid that I won't be able to break the cycle with my own daughter.