Thursday, June 18, 2009

Scheduled

I spoke with my midwife this morning and scheduled an induction for June 28th. Scheduling an induction means that I will have to be transferred out of my midwife's care into that of an ob/gyn. My midwife encouraged me to wait one more day because the doctor on call on the 28th is a doctor whom she has worked with before and who is willing to allow her to be a part of the induction process. Not all ob/gyns are willing to include midwives in the process. My midwife also seems to think that this doctor would be willing to try just breaking my water rather than giving me pitocin or other drugs first. When I had an emergency induction with Wild Man, my then ob/gyn only had to break my water. 4 1/2 hours later Wild Man was born. This suggests my body will go into labor on its own with this single intervention. I'd really like to go this route as I may not have to deal with pitocin and will be able to have an unmedicated birth. I'm not sure what will happen if I have pitocin. I also have a series of appointments scheduled for next week in the event that I do have to be induced. This is making for some crazy conversations and contigency plans.

I do have to say though that it has been really nice to have this time with my mom. We've been shopping, she's helped me hem curtains, we've organized Z's closet, and we've been out to lunch several times. On top of that, she's done all my laundry, done the dishes every day, and played with Wild Man until he's collapsed on the floor in giggles. We also had a long conversation about my expectations once the baby gets here, and before I could even say much she told me she thinks it is more important for her to focus on Wild Man so I can focus on the baby. Since she isn't comfortable driving around a new city, she said she thinks it will be better if C handles errands and things like that. This is precisely what I had in mind anyway, so it all works out very well. It seems a lot of my worrying about her was unfounded. She isn't as energetic as the mom I grew up with, but she is definitely more together and present than she was right after Wild Man was born. Even if she is only here for a few days after Z is born, I will not feel like this was a wasted visit sine we've already had such a good time together.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

pitocin sucks. for the record. But it doesn't sound like you'll need that. I hope you don't need the induction, actually, but if you do, my fingers are crossed for a pitocin free experience. :)

AcadeMama said...

I've now had it both ways: induced with pitocin and non-induced labor without pitocin. If I had to choose, I'd take the pitocin. I'm sure it must be different for each person, because I've heard nothing but horror stories from everyone else regarding the kinds of contractions they had with pitocin. My experiences were such that the pitocin contractions were longer and right on top of each other, but the contractions I had when I went into labor on my own with Amelia were unimaginable! I'd never been in so much pain, despite previously having two kids! I may have had a few more minutes of time to rest in between them, but when they hit, I seriously thought I'd pass out from the pain.

I hope everything goes the way you want and that Z's birth is a healthy and happy process for everyone involved. I just wanted to stand in as one person who actually had a better experience with pitocin than without.

Glad to know things have gone so well with your mom, too, what a difference that must make!

Anonymous said...

I don't think pitocin sucks. I had it, because my water broke and three days later my body still hadn't gone into labor. They start you with a very low dose...I actually felt nothing for a few hours...and gradually increase the dose if you need more until you are in active labor, then your body takes over and you don't need pitocin anymore. I personally don't understand what the big deal is. My labor was also very quick--felt my first contraction at 11:30am, baby in my arms at 3:13pm. You're going to be absolutely fine either way.

Lilian said...

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, my friend...

And I'm kinda glad that you didn't give birth yet, so I can follow the whole thing here (I was away last week). :-) Dooce did give birth during that period and it was a nice surprise to read about it today.

Anonymous said...

the big deal is that some women experience labor (and pitocin) differently than you do. That. is the big deal. not to highjack these comments but god almighty. not everyone lives inside your body.

now that I've said that, I amend my original comment to say pitocin sucked FOR ME. Because it fucking did.