Thursday, October 15, 2009

It happened. . .

So Wild Man turns 3 next week, and by the nature of the travels I described in my last post, none of our extended family will be here for his birthday. Wild Man could care less, quite frankly. He asked for a birthday party with his friends, so we're having one. I guarantee he won't notice if I'm there let alone if either of his grandmother's is there. That said, my mom gets in to town for a 9 day visit a few days after Wild Man's birthday, and she has said she wants to take him shopping for a present. That's cool with me because it means I don't have to tell my mom what to get him. Wild Man can pick it out for himself. When my mom said this to me, I told C and then immediately told him not to tell him mom because I'm not up for dealing with the battle of the grandmothers. I'm just not. Well, C screwed up and mentioned this to his mom (although in his defense she did ask what my mom was getting Wild Man for his birthday). So now not only does Yetta also have to take him shopping when she comes to visit after she and C return from Spain, she is also insisting that we have another party (yes, another party, including friends, cake, and activities) for him because she doesn't want to miss "all the birthday celebrations." You know, taking him to buy him a gift is fine with me; in fact, I think it is a great thing for them to do together. I am not drawing out his birthday for 2 flipping weeks because she is jealous of the time he will be spending with my mom.

Ok, I just reread this and thought: "So, M, she wants to celebrate his birthday with him. Really, what's the big deal? Why are you so annoyed?" I'm trying to be reasonable about Yetta as I promised myself long ago that I would be, but I am tired of being reasonable. I'm annoyed because I feel like she's making Wild Man's birthday about her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, she is making wild man's birthday about her. that's why you feel that way. taking him shopping is one thing. taking him to ice cream is reasonable. another party? Meh.

Lilian said...

Hmmmm, it's hard to be reasonable with her, I totally understand.

Is the party scheduled yet? I mean, I'm not telling you to change it, but in our family we always schedule birthdays for when my nephews can be here, and, occasionally, we schedule a party so a grandparent can come too (but usually we don't change the date just because of them). I hope you can find a way to deal with this...

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can save him a cupcake to sing and blow out some candles with while she's there, but I agree that ANOTHER party is just unreasonable.

M said...

We'd already planned to take him to dinner as a celebration when Yetta is here, but I am not throwing him another party. Lilian, his party is already planned and paid for. It is this weekend, in fact. In order to have her be here, we would have had to make Wild Man wait 2 weeks after his birthday. This is the first year he really understands what a birthday is, and he's super excited. I'm not making him wait to make her happy.