Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Mom, a follow-up

My mom left on Saturday, and she did manage to make it to Home State safely.  As soon as my dad heard her cough, however, he packed her up and took her to the doctor.  As I wrote last week, she caught a cold while she was here (she catches a cold every time she comes to visit, now that I think of it), and she developed a severe cough quickly.  This isn't that unusual.  My mom had bronchitis a lot when she was a child, so she tends to develop a cough whenever she gets a cold.  This was a really bad cough though.  So bad that she woke herself and me up coughing several nights last week.  I wanted to take her to the doctor (luckily, Mom is smart enough to buy travel insurance every time she comes to visit), but she refused.  My dad made her go on Sunday though, and it turns out my mom has walking pneumonia.  That upset me.  Pneumonia is serious. 

Beyond that, it also upsets me because it tells me that she isn't taking care of herself.  She takes her medicine and goes to her appointments, but she doesn't exercise and she doesn't eat well.  I'm not sure what to say or do about her health.  I did try to speak to my dad about it, especially about my concerns with her memory.  He just shut down, however.  He has never responded well to anything that he perceives to be a criticism of my mother, so it isn't surprising that he wasn't willing to listen to my concerns.  I also know that he thinks I overreact.  I've been thinking about that a lot lately as well. 

Am I overreacting?  I don't know, maybe.  Is this about me more than my mom?  That is entirely possible. I've never been entirely comfortable with her diagnosis, primarily for three reasons.  First, she never got a second opinion.  I think that if a doctor diagnoses you with a mental illness that will require you to take multiple medications for the rest of your life you get a second opinion just to make sure.  Second, if my mom does indeed have bipolar that means her illness went undiagnosed for a long time, perhaps for years if not decades.  That has made me rethink a lot of my childhood.  For example, does the diagnosis explain her severe anxiety over meeting new people and her hesitancy to let us have friends over when we were kids?  Third, since the diagnosis, my mom has changed drastically.  This one is the hardest on me.  There are so many things we used to do that we no longer do.  When I visited, we used to spend an entire day shopping and having lunch in our favorite area of Home City.  We'd stay up late and talk.  Archer and I would help her with little projects, like planting new flowers and hanging up pictures she'd had framed.  We'd go for long walks around her neighborhood.  We'd even get up early and go to breakfast with Archer and my dad.  On the days that we stayed with Archer's family, I would often meet my mom somewhere for a few hours, which meant Archer and I both were able to spend one-on-one time with our families.  Our visits are so different now, in large part because my mom is different.  I could list all the differences, but I think it is enough to say that I have to drag her out of the house.  More often than not if I want to go do something when I'm there, she says, "Just go without me.  Take the boys and have fun.  I'll be here when you get back." 

That isn't the only thing I'm struggling with.  I keep asking myself, "Am I just being selfish?"  Maybe she is happier like this.  She is certainly more even-keeled than I ever remember her being.  She almost never gets annoyed with my dad for his stupid jokes or his unintentionally insensitive comments.  She seems much less anxious, and she no longer gets upset about how we split our time between her and Archer's family.  So part of me feels like I should accept her as she is instead of judging her, which is how she feels I treat her.  If she's happy, and she says she is, should I just let it go and accept her as she is?  Why is that so hard?

3 comments:

AcadeMama said...

I started to leave a note before, but wanted to wait.... I'm sorry to hear that your mom is sick, but at least your dad was able to get her to the doctor.

Your original post got me thinking about things I went through with my grandmother, who was bipolar and manic, as well as the notion of life stages. I realized that my mom was our age when my grandmother really started going downhill with her illnesses, and it dawned on me that I'm entering a new life stage. Not only the one of child-rearing (since we've decided to stop the child-bearing), but also that stage of caring for my parents. Mine don't have any chronic mental or physical problems, but their health is increasingly on my mind. It's one of the biggest reasons I'm so glad we're back in the States, so I can be here in case anything happens.

I think there is a great deal to be said for loving and accepting your mother as she is now. I don't know that it's possible for us, as mothers or just as people, to be the same person now as we were 20 years ago (at least I hope not). I don't think you're being selfish, but rather perhaps nostalgic, and that seems perfectly reasonable, especially if your memories of your mother when you were a child are good ones.

I think it's hard for us to accept change in our parents because they have been such constants in our lives for so long. I'm often hurt by the way my mother sometimes acts so unlike the person I remember as a child. As hard as it is, I'm constantly reminding myself that she can't be that person anymore. Some other dynamic has formed; it's not always a good one, but I'm trying to accept it and do my part to make it a healthy and positive one (not always an easy task).

I don't know that I have a point, except to say that I understand some of the things you're talking about, and I'm trying to work through them as well.

rented life said...

so much to say, and no time :( I am sorry your mom is ill and I'm glad your dad insisted on getting her to a doctor. As for the rest, for now, have you had a frank talk with her? As in, asking her if she is really happier now? That might open some doors for both of you.

But it's a process, talking to parents. I can sometimes talk to mom about stuff and sometimes have to wait. I hate some of the decisions she makes (I'm sure this goes both ways though) and for me it's just a matter of spacing it out and reminding myself that she's doing the best she can right now with what she's got. And just trying to be there and remember that even though she's mom, she's also a person with her own set of life stuff going on. Sorry I can't write more right now, I'm supposed to be OFF the internet so husband can disconnect everything!!

M said...

Thanks to both of you for such thoughtful responses.

AM, my relationship with my mom has gone through major changes since I graduated from college. She struggled to let me grow up and to let me go, but after a few rough years (and a few therapy sessions), we had reached what I thought was a good place. I knew she was struggling with depression and had been taking various medications for a long time, but in my mind (and possibly because she didn't want to burden me with the information), her bipolar diagnosis came out of the blue. And the first time I saw her after this diagnosis she was severely over-medicated, in part because she thought she was having panic attacks when she actually had a tear in her esophagus. So for about 18 months, every time she experienced pain as a result of this tear she took an anti-anxiety pill. Then she'd take another when the first didn't work (as, of course, it wouldn't have), and then another, and another until she'd maxed out on her daily dosage in about an hour. When her doctor, whom I'm not particularly fond of as you might imagine, finally decided to do further testing to determine if my mom was actually having anxiety attacks (and, having had them myself and been in therapy for them, I tried to talk to her about them. When I suggested to her that they weren't anxiety attacks based on a few things she'd said, she shut down and shut me out.), she did so only at my father's insistence. When the tear in her esophagus was discovered, my mom's GP put her on an appropriate medication, and her psychiatrist took away the prescription for anti-anxiety meds. She improved, but she still wasn't the same to me. And that's where I am. Trying to accept that she is happy, as she says she is. But in all honesty, I feel like I'm in mourning for my mother, but she's alive. I guess my point is that I am trying, but it is a struggle. When we're together it is a daily struggle.

RL, I have tried to have such a conversation. To her credit, she listens when I express my concerns and sadness, but it isn't much of a dialogue, which is what I'd really like. She doesn't try to explain how she felt before the diagnosis and how she feels now that her medication is more or less regulated. I would like more information, and I have said that just in those words. It isn't that I don't get the answers I want. I don't get any answers at all. I'm trying to do what you do--remind myself that she is doing the best she can. On a different note, good luck with the move!