Monday, June 27, 2011

My new office

I'm writing this while sitting in my new office.  All of my books are unpacked, and I've made a list of the things I need to purchase to make the office fully functional.  You know, things like hanging files and tape.  I've sent an email to inquire about a computer (because this is a term appointment I don't get all the benefits that a TT faculty member would get, like start up funds to buy a new computer), and I've put in a request to have the office painted a pale peachy, ivory color (it is currently cornflower blue, which I actually like, but it is sort of dark.  If this is going to be my office for the foreseeable future I think I'd like a lighter color).  I'm in the process of deciding if I want to move the desk.  it is a good size office (about 8' by 12'), but the desk is a large corner style desk.  I'd like it to be facing the door, but I'm not sure it will work.  For now, I'm working.  It is so nice to be in my own space, so nice.  All of my things are out of Archer's office, and knowing that I do not have to stop writing mid-sentence if someone comes by to see him is, well, wonderful.  I can put my things on the wall, and I have plenty of bookshelves for my books.  I no longer have to schlep things back and forth from home to school, unless I absolutely want to.  I think this might make me happier than the house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful. So happy for you.

Lilian said...

I'm so jealous I could cry. ;) No, I'm kidding, I'm actually REALLY happy for you and just a little bit jealous. I'm happy that we have a real office at home now. Too bad our desktop is still without an internet connection... (so currently we only have the laptop online at home).

Blake said...

This is one of the reasons for having your own office. It's because you're pretty much the boss of your own space, and you can design it however you want. And it's good to see that you're really enjoying your new space.

Blake Mitchell