Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I really hate . . .

that I am expected to hide my disappointment to make other people feel better about breaking promises. 

I feel a bit like Anastasia seems to have felt in her recent posts on being expected to assuage people of their guilt for backing out of commitments (the commitment in question was Anastasia's daughter's birthday party).  Why is it my responsibility to make you feel better?  Why must you say things like, "I'm so worried you'll be mad at me"?  If you're worried I'll be upset, chances are I'm going to be upset.  That said, it isn't like I have the temper of a pit viper.  I'm not going to lash out at you, nor am I even likely to voice my disappointment much beyond, "That sucks.  I really wanted to do X with you."

To what am I obliquely referring?  Bear's second birthday is next week, and we're having a small party for him this weekend.  As my mom is going to be here, I invited my sister, who lives about 5 hours away by car, to come as well.  I didn't expect her to come as she has yet to visit while our mom is also visiting (don't ask; I can't explain it).  She, however, accepted the invitation and assured me she'd be here despite her schedule.  She did explain that she and her two kids would likely arrive late Friday evening and leave mid-day Sunday.  Of course, that was not an issue, so I planned on her being here.  As Archer would say, that is where I made the mistake.  I should not have counted on her as she routinely goes back on her word for various reasons (and there is probably a blog post--or lots of therapy sessions--on how the only family members I can routinely rely on are my mom and my cousin).  I was so excited that we were actually going to have family in town for Bear's birthday that I believed her.  More to the point, I told Wild Man she was coming along with Brown-Eyed Boy and Girl, whom he worships.  Wild Man bought them presents at his school book fair--with his own money without any prompting from me.  He has talked about their coming for weeks, constantly reminding me that he has presents to give them.  He is excited to say the least.

As of this morning, I hadn't heard from my sister in about 2 weeks, despite emailing her twice to ask when to expect them.  She finally emailed this morning, saying that she's had a rough few weeks managing her bipolar, and that as much as she wants to come she doesn't think she's up to it.  She ended the email with, "I'm so worried you'll be mad at me."  Well, no, I'm not mad, and why would I be?  Obviously, she has to take care of herself first.  I do not, however,  like the assumption that I would be mad over something like this.  Disappointed, sure, but mad?  Um, no.  In fact, what makes me mad is the clear need for me to assuage her guilt for changing plans.  You're not well, and you need to stay home.  I get it.  You feel bad about it.  I get that too.  I also feel bad about it, but it isn't the end of the world.  Let's move on and be done with it.  I don't understand why I have to make her feel better about it.  I mean (and I totally know I'm being selfish here) she isn't going to have to deal with the utter meltdown Wild Man is going to have when I tell him his cousins won't be here for the weekend.  And I do mean utter meltdown as in sobbing and pulling the covers over his head, saying "I'm so sad, Mommy.  I wanted to give them their presents" meltdown.  I will, however, manage it, and we'll all be fine.

As an aside, I will not be telling Wild Man about any possible visits until I know they are on the way to our house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally get it. I hate being asked to manage another person's feelings. I don't want that kind of responsibility! Not my job! And I think your last sentence is way smart. That's how I was handling promises my mom made to my kids before she disowned me. It seemed to work well not to tell them about things until they materialized.

M said...

It's super annoying. In fact, she just sent me another message saying, "Please don't be mad at me. I know I'm being a needy basketcase, but I have to know you're not mad at me. My shrink told me it wasn't a good idea to go since I've been struggling this week." Um, I already said I want you to take care of yourself, so why do I have to say anything else?