Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Moving Forward

Yesterday I received an email from Dr. English asking me if we could meet later this week.  It seems the powers that be have finally decided to finalize the conversion of my current position.  As I wrote last year, my current appointment, although full-time with a research emphasis is not a T-T appointment.  I was "promised" last year that my position would convert to T-T.  Well, I've been hearing "It's going to happen soon, don't worry" for the last 9 months.  Archer has even been told by the dean that my line is already in the budget, so in the dean's mind, it was a done deal.  Except I know I have to give a talk and have an interview, both of which are little more than formalities.  For me, as long as those two things have yet to be done, I don't really feel like anything is a done deal.  And you know, I'd like to actually sign a contract.  I know Dr. Writing has been pushing this along, but academia moves at a glacial pace.  It seems now that I will be getting concrete information about how the conversion will proceed, including details about the interview and the talk.  I'm happy this is finally moving forward, but I'm still wary and cautious.  I don't think I'll believe any of this is happening until I've got a contract in my hands.

No comments: