Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Sounding board

So as those of you who read this blog and offer many helpful comments have become my sounding board for me and my frustrations regarding C's dissertation, I am, logically, his sounding board. In all honesty, (and yes, C and I have discussed this!) I'm tired of his dissertation. For the past 6 months if we're not talking about S and family issues, we're talking about C's diss and his job search. I honestly don't feel like I can talk about Colonial Merida one more time or the implications of the facade he's focused on. And I know he's tired of it too. I guess I'm feeling a little whiny. I want C's feedback on my work--I want to talk about me for awhile.

One of the things I love the most about our relationship is that we give each other great feedback on each other's work. He has read my proposal several times, and now I want him to read the work I've done on the first chapter I'm working on (ok, so it's only 5 pages). I just don't feel justified in asking him to do it. I so, so, so want him to get finished that I've put a lot on hold because this is what is right for my family. But I'm still a little frustrated. I do have other people who could read it, but the 5 pages are in the "stupid" phase. There are a very select number of people whom I ask to read my work when it is in the "stupid" phase, and that number is 1.

To add to the stress, C's mother (whom I get along quite well with) is in town for the week, and she is spoiling the pants off of S--as much as you can spoil a 4.5 month old. At least I won't have to buy the kid clothes until the end of the summer. . .

4 comments:

LivedSpaces said...

You might want to wait until your MIL leaves, because that's a lot of things going on at once, but have him read your five pages. I think you deserve five pages worth of attention and you need the support and feedback too! It sounds like he has been working hard towards fininshing and it might even be good for him to refocus some of his mental energy on your project (if only for a few hours).

By the way, five pages is great! I'm actually really impressed and it gives me some hope for the months ahead (baby due date: one week and counting) I'm not trying to suggest otherwise. My point is only that if he is someone you can comfortably share your rough rough drafts with, then five pages isn't an unreasonable amount and shouldn't be too much of a distraction.

M said...

You will be able to get some work done, especially reading, after the first weeks. By the time S was 8 weeks old, I was ready to do some real work. Good luck with the birth!

Lilian said...

Oh dear, I hope you can "use" your sounding board soon enough. As for the MIL, you can think that it's temporary, and it'll pass.

wwwmama said...

I agree with livedspaces in terms of getting your pages read soon. You deserve it. wI don't have anyone who reads my stupid pages and gives feedback, and now I really want one!