Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Books, parenting, and unsolicited advice

I've recently purchased a few books to help me figure out life with a five-month-old: Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron, The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, and Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development by T. Berry Brazelton. Each has been helpful, especially Pantley's book, which came highly recommended by my friend Sarah at Mommy, Ph.D. In a recent conversation with my mother, I mentioned my recent book purchases while we were discussing how S is doing with his attempts to eat solid food (as an aside, why do we call rice cereal and baby food solid food?). She asked me what I fed him first, and I said rice cereal mixed with breast milk and, then a few days later, sweet potatoes. She then told me what she fed me and my siblings first--rice cereal and applesauce. She also reminded me, as she has done repeatedly over the past 5 months, that she gave me rice cereal when I was 4 days old and I slept through the night. I told her that I purchased a book on feeding babies, and it suggested the sweet potatoes because of the low likelihood of allergies to sweet potatoes. I then told her about Pantley's book because, frankly, I'm so ready for S to be able to put himself back to sleep that I was (and am!) excited to have a book that has worked for people I know. My mom sighed and said: "I never needed a book to help me with you and your siblings. I don't know why you can't just try the methods I used. You obviously turned out ok."

In the five months I've been a mother (and the 9 I was pregnant before S was born) I heard similar comments from my mother and C's mother. I gave up trying to explain that it had been 30+ years since they had children and that things had changed. I gave up reassuring them that yes, C and I did turn out fine, but that we wanted to be able to do things for our child without calling them or our pediatrician every five minutes. I gave up wanting to strangle both of them, and I simply reminded myself that they were well-meaning because they are. But it is still frustrating. In this particular instance, I just changed the topic. I know the implicit meaning behind my mother's comments: she feels that I'm calling her a bad mother because I'm not following her advice or doing things precisely as she did. I didn't get that when I was pregnant, but I do get that now that I'm a mother. By buying books rather than calling her and relying on her admittedly bad memory, I'm criticizing the choices she made as a mother. I once tried telling her that I research as part of my career so that it comes naturally to me to research things about my child. That didn't work because she said children can't be researched (which, for the record, was one of the most absurd things I think my mother has ever said). I understand that by criticizing my choices, my mother is defending hers. So now instead of getting annoyed with her criticism of me, I just change the subject. I wish she could understand that I'm just trying to figure this all out on my own and not questioning her choices.

On a different note, I spoke to my grandmother yesterday, and she offered some unsolicited advice too. I told her I plan to give S bananas next because I'd read they are easy to digest. She told me to stock up on the stain remover as bananas stain. That was some useful advice!

5 comments:

Dr. Peters said...

Yes, bananas stain very badly. And too many can cause constipation, so maybe give him some juice if he doesn't fill as many diapers as usual--constipated babies are very unhappy babies. And your mother and mil live so far away, it might be better to just not mention the books or any other decisions and techniques you expect her to question. Avoidance is sometimes the best path, especially when all parties involved are sensitive and defensive of their own choices. Just wanted to add to your collection of unsolicited advice. :)

Anonymous said...

my grandmother was infinitely more helpful than my mother and i think it's precisely because she's far enough removed from my childhood and her won child rearing days to be over the whole "you think Im a bad mother" thing. I think you've totally called it with your own mom.

my mom gave me the whole rice cereal at 4 days spiel, too. I can't remember how I handled it except for what Sarah is saying--avoid, avoid, avoid.

anyway, just wanted to say I feel you! and I hope S learns o settle himself back to sleep soon!

Amy Reads said...

Hi M,
My mom keeps asking me, "you're not going to be one of those 'book moms,' are you?"
I had no idea how to answer that question!!!
Ciao,
Amy

AcadeMama said...

I think what your mom said about the inability to "research" children is somewhat true though. Of course, there a tons of books out there based on tons of research, but there are always exceptions to the rule, special case scenarios, and individual children with individual needs. In these cases, no amount of textual research or resources will help. That's just where your Mommy instinct (meaning the fact that you know your child best) comes in to play.

Lilian said...

Wow, reading this makes me feel really really lucky. And also kind of explains how I've been able to have my parents living with us for several months each year since 2002 when Kelvin was born and they retired.

When my mom arrived, 4 days before Kelvin was born (he was 17 days early), she marveled at how prepared we were for the birth. Then, she just watched whatever we did, including reading tons of books (Dr. Sears was my "bible" then) and our struggle to breastfeed, and just remarked that 30 years back things were so different.

My MIL is great too... as our babies developed, we were both curious to know how we were when babies and I was surprised to find out that our moms could barely remember what they had done. Another thing was that several problems we had, they had experienced too -- particularly my MIL, who had 4 boys (having a hard time to get the babies to sleep and to feed them).

I guess all of our family being Brazilian helps too -- it's a different culture, here in the U.S. it seems that each generation is so different, so far apart from the other generations... and in Brazil it seems that things don't change so dramatically from the past to the present. Besides, there, there aren't all those baby rearing books, like Dr. Spock, Dr. Brazelton, Ferber, etc, etc, etc...

And of course we academic mamas will LOVE to read all kinds of different books and learn about different approaches to bringing up our kids!!

P.S. I should probably say though, for the record, that my mom was an educator, school counselor and college professor. She studied in Switzerland with the well known cognitive psychologist Jean Piaget (in the 2 years before I was born), so she's very knowledgeable and at the same time aware that things change as the years go by.

Sorry for over-sharing and writing this huge comment! :)