Thursday, May 01, 2008

Questions to ask

At Academama's suggestion, I've composed a list of questions to ask the spouse of someone who has just accepted a tenure track position.

  • How fantastic! Are they willing to consider partner placement? (Ok, so this question assumes that the questioner has some knowledge of academia.)
  • What are the schools like?
  • What sort of exciting things are there for us to do when we come to visit you in your new home?
  • Will you be able to afford to take some time off and focus solely on your dissertation?
  • When can we come visit?
  • Do you need any help moving?
  • That sounds like a really great opportunity for your family. Are you excited?
  • I bet you're really excited, but I imagine you're also feeling a little overwhelmed. It is going to be hard for you all to leave College Town, isn't it? (I'd only welcome this question from someone I know really well, as it would likely make me burst into tears, but more on that later.)
  • Wow! Won't you all have fun teaching Wild Man to build a snow man?
  • So, when are you going to let Wild Man start participating in extreme winter sports?
  • M, you have to wear a sweater in an air conditioned room! Should we go shopping for some warmer clothes?
  • Do you think Wild Man will adopt the local accent?
Ok, so admittedly, some of these questions are pretty lame, and I have to say probably not the humor that Academama was looking for while she recovers from her recurring neck problems (sorry, Academama!). But these questions are supportive and understanding and suggest that the questioner is actually excited for us and understanding that this has not been an easy process or decision for us.

9 comments:

supadiscomama said...

More questions:

Aren't you excited that Wild Man have the opportunity to become fluent in a romance language--a skill that will make him very seductive when he becomes a man? (p.s. he should also learn to play piano--then he could write romantic songs for the ladies...or gentlemen)

Won't you be glad to not see ignorant 18 year olds running around with "I Love W" t-shirts? (I assume that this doesn't happen outside of College Town)

Aren't you excited to have an excuse to have multiple winter coats? (I love my pink coat, but I'm envious of Phoebe on Friends and the SATC ladies and their multi-coat options!)

Fall!! (Not really a question--but still exciting)

M said...

Supa, I am excited about these things and so many, many more!

Lilian said...

Hmmm, I think I'm beginning to guess where you're going to. Can I email you and ask about it? Would you mind? :-)

M said...

I'd love to get email from you Lilian! But I will most likely blog about the location, at least generally, once C has signed the contract. There are a few things holding up the official contract, but we're becoming less worried about it since C has already been told what classes he will teach in the fall, including what time and room location.

AcadeMama said...

I think these are great! I hope you really will share them with your family and let us know how it goes over. They're well written, genuine, and funny - they actually made me smile today, despite my continued neck pain :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, "Are you still going to be American?" didn't make the list??? I thought for sure that one was a keeper :-)

Anonymous said...

"You have to wear a sweater in an air conditioned room! Should we go shopping for some warmer clothes?" That's my favorite! And the answer is, yes, you will have to go shopping. At least, I did, and it was glorious! Here's my follow-up question: do they have H&M's in X-town? Because I now have a sweater wardrobe for under $150!!!

M said...

Hi M, my name is M. Seriously. It's great to meet another M, even if it's just in the blogosphere. I'm academically minded, but can't stand academia (publish-or-perish is a mofo). My best friend is getting his Ph.D. (piled higher and deeper) right now, so I definitely empathize with the insanity. Good luck!

M said...

Jennie--I didn't want to give too much away just yet!

Megs--I just looked and there is an H&M in X-town (I really have to come up with a better pseudonym than that!).

Academama--I'm glad I could make you smile through the pain. I hope your procedure helped.