Friday, May 09, 2008

Oh, Canada!

As most of the regular readers already suspect (and many of you know), we are moving to Canada. C was offered and accepted a tenure-track position at a medium-sized research university in Canada. CU (Canadian University) is in a medium sized city, which is relatively close to the U.S. border. We will be returning to the Eastern time zone, although we will not be returning to the East Coast, which is ultimately where we'd like to end up. C received word yesterday that CU has mailed the contract to him; he should get it on Monday. With that knowledge, I feel a bit more comfortable revealing the approximate location of our new home. Frankly, I was a bit worried about jinxing everything!

We are alternately excited and stressed out about the move. Our lives are going to change dramatically. C will be making significantly more money than both of us are making now (but, given that I'm a grad student and he is a full-time adjunct, that isn't really hard to do), but we're still a bit worried about finances because the cost of living in CU Land is somewhat higher. I have good leads on adjunct work, and there is a serious possibility that the English Department at CU will offer me a part-time position for the Spring. The Dean of the College of Liberal Arts is a from Southwest College State, and she has a nephew who attends Southwest College. She seems very eager to help me given this connection between our families. She has, in fact, shopped my CV around at the affiliate schools (CU seems to operate a bit like Oxford or Cambridge; it has affiliate schools for specific areas, including a teaching college and a women's college. Each of the schools has an English department, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one of these schools will show interest in my CV and want me to teach at least one class there in the fall.). But for the time being, unless something else comes up, we've decided that I will stay home and focus on my dissertation. Daycare is significantly more expensive in CU Land, so Wild Man will either be staying home with me or he will go part-time. C and I have talked endlessly about a schedule, and I'm fairly certain we can make such a plan work (after all if our friends Solon and Megsg-h at The Rhetorical Situation can make it work while both of them are dissertating, we definitely can!). The Dean has also assured C that the English Department will consider me for partner placement when I'm finished, so that is even more motivation for me to keep on task and get work done.

For now, we're trying to figure out our living situation (we're debating whether to buy in the first year or wait a year) and determining what it means to be Americans living in Canada (we've still got to figure out how to get absentee ballots as CU wants C to apply for permanent residency as soon as we get there). C asked me last night if this makes us expatriates, and I told him I have no idea (Lilian, any thoughts on this?). We are, apparently, emigrating, which is not something I'd ever thought we'd do. I do know that we're in for one interesting adventure.

8 comments:

Lilian said...

Hmmm, How fascinating!! I will still want to know more details, so I'm definitely emailing you. AND I'm also going to Canada in the Summer to visit my friend. If we're anywhere near and you've already moved, maybe we can even meet.

Anyway... oh yeah, you're going to be expatriates and immigrants too, no doubt about that. Canada is very different from the U.S., it actually reminds me of Europe and of Brazil (Brazil is very "European" in the way its cities are organized, the roads are set out, the cars, and the traffic, you get the idea -- Europe and Canada feel much more like home to me, I have this feeling that it's the U.S. that is completely different from anywhere else in the world).

Anyway... it's not like you're going to go through culture shock or something, but you're definitely feel the difference. It is another country after all. But do not fear, it's an extremely enriching experience to go through. I know all this sounds like worn clichés, but it's true, believe me... this will "expand your horizons" like nothing else could.

OK, I've talked too much already, let me know if this helps at all or not ;-). I was going to end by saying that I was going to email you, but I just realized that you don't have an email connected to the blog :-( Do email me if you want, please? :-(

Anonymous said...

Everything sounds so exciting! Okay, so how weird is it that I feel a little bit sad you're moving so far away when I don't technically know you and have never even met you?

mgm said...

Congrats! I would so love to move to Canada. My liberal heart hurts here and, maybe it's silly of me, but I feel like it would feel better in Canada, eh?

My husband's aunt married a Canadian she met while in Nicaragua and she emigrated there many moons ago. They have teenagers, now, but she loves Canada.

Good luck with the move!

M said...

Lilian--that does help, although I'm still unclear on the expat thing; what happens if we move back to the States? I do anticipate that we will go through an adjustment period, although I'm not exactly sure to what extent. I think I will begin to get a feel for it when we go visit at the end of the month to find a place to live.

Jennie--I've often thought that we should get together, especially given our proximity to one another. Maybe we could do that this summer?

Mad Grad--I'm not sure my liberal heart will feel better in Canada. When C interviewed most of the faculty asked him about the never-ending campaign for nominees. They were all extremely concerned about McCain getting elected. And apparently the Prime Minister is a Bush Jr., or at least that is how they all described him. I have been told repeatedly that the tenure process in Canada is more
"humane," but I'm not entirely certain what that means.

Oxymoron said...

I must ask again: Why do you hate America?

Anonymous said...

I think it would be a lot of fun to get together--let's plan to do that before turn Canadian [wink]!

Anonymous said...

Opps, that should say: before you turn Canadian [sarcasm doesn't work so well online, especially when you can't type].

M said...

I'm totally down with that Jennie. You can email me through my profile and we can start to figure it out!