Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Sinking in

The reality that we're moving in just over 2 months is beginning to sink in. With that realization, I'm experiencing a lot of mixed emotions. I'm genuinely happy about this move for more reasons that I can count. The biggest reason is that this is a smart move for C, for his career, and for our family. Regardless of whether or not I'm ever offered a position at University X, this is a great job for C's career. If I'm not offered a position and we do end up moving again in the next few years for my career, this job makes C incredibly marketable and will make him much more attractive to any school that would hire me. I'm also excited about this location, about getting to know a new place, and about living in a new environment. The list could go on and on.

Despite my excitement and my belief that we are making the right decision, I'm not excited about leaving the Southwest College Town we've come to think of as home. When we moved here almost 5 years ago, we never would have thought we'd be so happy here. It is a relatively conservative community, in a very conservative state. It doesn't feel like a college town at all; in fact, it feels more like Strip Mall Town. It has all of the negatives of small town life, without many of the positives of living in a city. But it has many things that we've grown to love. We have a community of friends, many of whom we've come to think of as family. I can name about 12 people that I will be heartbroken not to see on a regular basis. In some ways, I think of these friends as people I've grown up with. We've all weathered the many dramas of graduate school together, had children around the same time, and become an integral part of each others' lives. I also have a lot of affection for this place because it is where C and I decided to become parents and where Wild Man was born. It is impossible to drive around this town without thinking "That's where Wild Man did X for the first time." Leaving SCT will be one of the hardest things I've ever done. One of the things that bothers me most about the profession we've chosen is that it requires us to move to places that we may not want to move to, to put down roots in said place, and then to leave that place. C and I love what we do, but I truly hope we don't have to move too many more times in our careers.

5 comments:

p-duck said...

you all will be missed! : (

But we're glad you're moving on to good things : )

p-duck said...

you all will be missed! : (

But we're glad you're moving on to good things : )

Oxymoron said...

It's also the place where you saw Oxymoron naked through a window as he prepared to dress himself after a shower.

Oh, the good times...

and the traumatic ones.

Anonymous said...

We moved from a beautiful little town in PA, and as we were driving away to TX I recall looking down Main St. and thinking that I was never going to live in such a wonderful place again. Trust me when I say I never would have moved to TX if my grad school department wasn't located in the state. But now I love our life in the Lone Star state so much that I can't imagine living anywhere else. I think the truth is that you love wherever you are happy, and if you end up moving a lot there will just be that many more places for you to love.

M said...

Thanks for that, Jennie. I think you're right. I have grown to love this place because we've been happy hear.

And Oxy, I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it; I can't say I'm glad to remember it. ;)