Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Another question for my readers

This question refers to my previous post

Is there a way to ask someone, who is well intentioned, not to post personal information about my children or me on Facebook?  After last night's ordeal, I woke up to find that Pita (yes, we're friends on FB again) had posted a prayer request for Bear.  While I do appreciate that her intentions were good, I don't appreciate her sharing the news so publicly, especially as she is friends with my father and brother, neither of whom yet knew about Bear's trip to the ER.  As soon as I saw her post, I had to call my parents and my brother, so they didn't see her post and get worried--or be hurt that I hadn't yet called them.  Again, I know she was well intentioned, but I really, really don't like that she posted something like this so publicly.  I also know this feeling is a bit ironic given that I just wrote a blog post about the incident.  I also realize that it is entirely likely I'm overreacting, but it really bothers me.  I know I will likely just have to let it go, but if anyone can think of a tactful way to make this request please let me know.

*As an aside, Pita knew about Bear's trip to the ER b/c Yetta called right as Bear and I were leaving.  Archer told her to get her off the phone quickly.  This is usually the sort of thing we don't share with our families until after the fact because it makes life less complicated.

5 comments:

L said...

oh, my friend, facebook is a foe, not a friend, that's how I feel about it and I'm always extra careful there.

IMHO, fb is completely different from an anonymous or semi-anonymous blog because we know that certain people in our lives do NOT read our blogs, we're more free to share our thoughts and feelings.

Maybe you could ask Archer to ask his sister not to write about the boys on fb on account of other family members? It also sounds like this particular situation is the result of an unfortunate coincidence -- Yetta calling right as you were going to the Hospital and Archer not having the option of not telling what was going on.

when my brother told us that they were pregnant he SPECIFICALLY requested that we not say anything about it on facebook so his contacts there wouldn't find out before he wanted to share the news.

rented life said...

I agree with Lilian's suggestion. I've been thinking about it for a little bit but I really couldn't come up with a good response. I notice how different everyone is on there. Some people share everything, all the little details, about their kids on there and others don't have any pics, names, etc.

I am sorry about your ER experience. You could contact their community relations person or public relations person and just explain your suggestions. Tell them what was good, what wasn't and why. That person's job is to take in those concerns, and this way it's not so much as a formal compliant as a "here's how to make your hospital better." We had a terrible experience when my husband was ill years ago, but that was actual poor care, which doesn't sound like the case here.

j. said...

Or, you could switch to Google+ (I sent you an invite) and have more control over what you say to whom.

M said...

Subtle, J. But there is a flaw to your argument. How will using Google+ allow me to ensure that people don't post private things about my children without my permission? It may give me greater control over what I let people see, but I doubt it will let me control what other people post.

On a different note, I'm not ignoring your invite. I'm just trying to determine if I want to join another social networking site. I really don't need an excuse to waste any more time than I already do . . . I'd rather catch up with you on the phone or via personal email than have to check into a specific site just to talk to you.

rented life said...

I'm on Google+ but I don't use it. I feel like I have too much else to check. plus, I'm not finding it as user-friendly as I need with how busy I am. If it's not intuitive then I don't want to be bothered.