Thursday, August 25, 2011

Overwhelmed

That is how I'm feeling.  Archer and I are packing up all the odds and ends that are still around the house, and we're anxiously awaiting a phone call from our lawyer telling us that all the money has changed hands and that we can pick up the keys to our new home.  My stomach is in knots.  I know it is just a matter of waiting for all the people to do their jobs at this point, but I'm very, very anxious. 

On top of that, I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about the new house.  I think it will be perfect for us, but it isn't perfect right now.  As I tried to explain to Archer, our townhouse is us.  We've spent three years painting, organizing, and decorating.  We've painted every room in the house except for the laundry room, and we've updated the fixtures, redone the kitchen and one of the bathrooms, and made it ours.  The new house is bigger, with a lovely yard and deck.  But it doesn't feel like home, at least not yet.  I know that it will, but it is very disconcerting for me to feel as though we're starting over again. 

I'm also really worried about the weekend.  We're hoping to get some things moved in today and to move everything else in tomorrow.  The plan is to sleep at the new house tomorrow night, to spend Saturday unpacking the essentials, and to clean up the townhouse on Sunday and Monday morning.  I've hired our go to babysitter for Sunday.  She'll be with the boys for much of Sunday, giving Archer and I time to clean.  I really want the weekend to be as calm as possible, as both boys are a bit stressed out already. 

I will now stop voicing my anxieties and finish packing.

1 comment:

Lilian said...

oh dear!! I hear you, I totally 100% hear you!

We moved last year in June into a rental townhome and lived in a state of "suspension" for a year, and then moved here in April. (and before that, we bought and sold a house every three years from 2001 to 2010 -- exhausting!)

I know what you're talking about regarding the new house not being your "home" just yet. That's why I was so desperate to decorate when we moved here and for K to hang the pictures on the wall (we were over a year without them and K is known to wait literally for years before hanging things on the walls because they have to be in the perfect spot, etc -- he drives me nuts!). So I made him hang the picture for my birthday. The good thing with this house is that we *needed* to paint only the dining room and our bathroom. We like the other colors (phew!).

I hope the new house can feel like home quickly -- hopefully there aren't too many huge painting jobs or other projects that you need to tackle right away.

I'll be thinking of you all weekend long and hoping it all goes smoothly, OK? I hope my virtual support helps somehow!