Thursday, June 21, 2007

It never ends. . .

C's mother is in the hospital, and we're not sure why. She may have had a minor heart attack, but we won't know until later today. She does have pulmonary fibrosis, which is a lung disease, and she is getting over a very bad chest cold. Her lungs and heart may be responding to the cold. We're both upset. C's mom isn't in great health, but most of her health problems could be improved if she lost weight, exercised, and ate better. Needless to say, she doesn't do these things.

And despite my worry over my mother-in-law, I am left feeling like it never ends. C mailed his dissertation to his committee on Tuesday; we were looking forward to a few quiet weeks before he had to start gearing up for his defense. We were excited because he wasn't going to be in front of the computer almost all day every day, and then we got the phone call telling us about this. Since we're so far away, we spent most of yesterday on the phone with C's brother, and now we have to determine if we need to make another emergency trip to see them. Is it wrong of me to feel like we can't catch our breath?

And this morning I called my sister to have someone to talk to about my frustration, worry, and emotional exhaustion. I didn't get the comfort I was hoping for; instead, I got a lecture on how C's mom didn't get sick to inconvenience me. So on top of the guilt I already feel for my frustration with this particular family situation, I got chastised like I am a child by my older sister, who then yelled at me when I tried to explain that I only wanted her to listen. Now I am in my office crying, and my relatively good mood is shot.

I'm still feeling sorry for myself.

3 comments:

flossie said...

Amen--when I want to vent about things, people (like Mr. F) often want to fix the problem, which usually comes off sounding to me like I should change my attitude.

I guess that's why blogs are so good! All the venting we want, with no interruptions!

Dr. Peters said...

You're not upset with HER, you're upset with the situation. It's hard to have so many major life events happening at the same time, so no wonder you feel this way. This is major stress. I often feel like I just wish I had a break from life in general--if only we could just pause reality for a moment just to get our bearings, it would all be easier to handle.

L said...

That must've felt awful. No wonder you were upset!