Thursday, June 14, 2007

Another Disappointment for C

The unexpected job I wrote about has been cancelled (but it will be relisted in the fall), and C is understandably disappointed. I feel like my wonderful husband can't catch a break lately. As ambivalent as I was about this potential move, I really wanted him to get the job because, frankly, he has had an unbelievably tough year. On top of all of his dad's death, the job and dissertation stress, he also feels guilty about how little work I've been able to get done this year because I've taken over almost all of the household responsibilities and S's care so he can get this dissertation finished. I don't want him to feel guilty. I want him to understand that this is what a spouse does. I know he will return the favor when I am in the final stage of my dissertation. He told me the other night that he feels like he has to pay me back, and I told him that is ridiculous. I do wish he has had more time to spend with us recently, but I don't feel like he has missed out on any important events. I know this is a means to an end, and frankly, I get a lot more support from my stressed out husband than a lot of wives. It kills me that he doesn't realize what a great husband and father he is. I'm left feeling partially responsible as I was so ambivalent about the job.

On a more positive note, C has scheduled his dissertation defense. As of July 18, he will officially be Dr. C, and we are so excited about that.

3 comments:

AcadeMama said...

Sorry to hear the job fell through :( But glad to hear C is about to hit the finish line :)

Dr. Peters said...

Dr. C--very exciting. Congratulations!

Lilian said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about the job! On the other hand, a scheduled defense is very good news -- good for him!! It was very tough when my husband was finishing his dissertation 3 years ago and we were moving two states away with a newborn and a toddler. I'm glad my parents were able to help, but now their help is coming to a close since I've just been taking too long to finish. I hope I can pull it out without them.