Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Another Potential Move

I haven't completely wrapped my head around this yet, so I think this will be a short post. C didn't get the job he interviewed for in April, so we had reconciled ourselves (fairly happily, actually) to the reality that he would adjunct another year and go back on the market next fall. We both think he'll be much more successful with his degree in hand. A few weeks ago, three jobs came open in his area, and he put in for two of them, assuming he wouldn't hear anything. Friday morning he got a call from one of the universities, and he has an on-campus interview at the end of the month. I'm excited and anxious. I've come to the realization that I kind of like where we live--not necessarily the area (although we could and have lived in worse places), but the community of friends we have. The first job seemed managable b/c it was about an 8 hour drive from our friends. The new job is scarier to me b/c we will be across the country from our friends. Admittedly, we will be closer to our families, which is a plus. But I have lived away from my family for 9 years. My friends, particularly this group of friends, have become my family.

2 comments:

Amy Reads said...

Hi M,
Luckily, academia's a fairly small circuit, and we'll be able to keep in touch across the country through things like conferences and visits.
And yay for C! An interview! Want me to put my Catholic Mama on her mojo?
Ciao,
Amy

M said...

Yes! Even though I don't want to move, I want C to get the job, so have your Mama mojo away.