Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I have a new hero

Add Christina Applegate to the short list of celebrity women I admire. Applegate, who is only 36 years old, was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. In an interview with "Good Morning America," Applegate announced her decision to undergo a preventative double mastectomy. I admire this decision for a number of reasons, and here are a few.
  • Applegate works in an industry that values beauty above everything, and she has willingly "sacrificed" a part of that beauty for her health. She has decided to have reconstructive surgery, but with this decision, she is saying that her health and her life are much more important than her boobs.
  • Applegate is going public with this very private decision. To me, this shows that she isn't concerned with her image; rather, she wants to let other women know that this decision, which many individuals and doctors often view as radical, is a viable option. While others on the Situation have argued that celebrities have a responsibility to the public to disclose when they undergo certain medical procedures, namely fertility treatments and plastic surgery, I am not so sure I agree. They are, after all, people too and are entitled to keep their private lives private (although I would argue that the moment you show up at a club opening not wearing panties you have relinquished your right to privacy). I don't believe Applegate is under any obligation to share this information, but I do believe her decision to share it will help many other women facing a similar decision.
  • She is going so much farther than simply putting a face on the disease. Many celebrities have been open about their battles with various illnesses. By talking about her decision to have a doulbe mastectomy, Applegate is attempting to change (or at least I hope she is) the public's view of breasts. Consider this: she is famous for playing Kelly Bundy, the sexy, buxom nymphette who would have flashed anyone her boobs. Now she is letting it be known that she had said boobs removed to prevent her cancer from recurring. She is much, much smarter than her roles would suggest.
For these and many other reasons (remember when she personally bankrolled the musical "Sweet Charity" because critics lambasted her and the producers wanted to pull out; not only ws the musical a success but she was nominated for a Tony), I am adding Christina Applegate to the short list of celebrity women I admire.

4 comments:

Lilian said...

This story is very interesting to me because I have a dear friend whose doctors have suggested that should she undergo a preventive double mastectomy. I think she's 35 now and when they mentioned it to her last year, she fell apart.

Her mom died of breast cancer and her breast tissue is so compact and problematic that a regular mammography doesn't work for her.I am pretty sure that one of the reasons why she doesn't want to do it is the desire to breastfeed a future child. And doctors have also told her that breastfeeding would help lower her chances of having cancer. Problem is, she got divorced three years ago, and she hasn't remarried.

Because of her, I even thought of something I've never heard about. Have you heard of how some adoptive mothers induce lactation so they can breastfeed her babies? I was just thinking whether it would be helpful (healthwise) for a woman in her situation to induce lactation (through medication and pumping)... Maybe I should track down someone who researches the link between b-feeding and lowered rates of b-cancer and ask this person this question.

Thanks for linking to this story, I would probably never have known otherwise (unless it came to be aggressively covered in the news).

M said...

I have heard of this form of lactation, Lilian, but from what I understand an adoptive mother who induces lactation typically able to exclusively breast feed a child. Still this may be something your friend wants to look into.

Lilian said...

Yes, precisely, M, they induce lactation to breastfeed a child, I have no idea whether exclusively pumping would do any good... and it would be SO MUCH trouble! She could donate the milk, blah, blah, blah.

Sometimes I wish she could just go ahead and have a baby -- if it were that easy! She does have a boyfriend now, I hope it works out for her. Her life is really complicated. Sigh.

M said...

Well, there's no reason why she has to wait for "Mr. Right" to have a baby. If she wants one and feels like she could do it alone, I think she could figure it out.