Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Leaving

Wild Man and I leave Southwest College Town today. We're heading to the nearest big city where we will stay with a friend overnight. We fly to CU Land tomorrow. I have to admit that I'm ready for this to be over. This experience has been exhausting--mentally and physically. It feels like I've been tearing off a huge bandaid as slow as possible, and frankly, I'm ready to be done.

I want to say something to all the friends I didn't have time to write a tribute to, particularly Sarah and Amy Reads. I wish we had been able to spend more time together recently, but as John Lennon sung, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." I hope you both know how much I love you and how much I will miss you. This move is, as I've said many times, bittersweet. I'm so excited about what we will find in CU Land, but I'm very sad to be leaving Southwest College Town.

I also want to add a note to my virtual friends, particularly Jennie and Lillian. You've both been so supportive that I find it hard to believe I've only met Jennie once and I've never met Lillian. You're both very dear to me, and I hope to continue our virtual friendships for a long, long time.

And as both Amy Reads and P-duck said to me yesterday, this isn't good-bye.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear all about CU Land! (Amy Reads and P-duck are right.)

Amy Reads said...

Travel safe, Friend, and let us know when you've arrived at your new destination.
Ciao,
Amy

Lilian said...

Oh, I'm all choked up right now!!! I hope CU Land is close to where I have friends, so I might visit you someday! You have to email me with more details, please! :-)

I wish we'd been able too met at the MLA back in 2006 here in Philly... but someday it will work out, I'm sure!

Well, I'm glad it's finally over for you, and the band-aid comparison made me laugh a little because Kelvin spent almost an hour peeling one off with great drama and tears last June... if you knew the details, you'd realize your metaphor was just perfect! Hopefully you were not as hesitant and loud as he was! :-)