Thursday, December 22, 2011

Almost there

Christmas is only three sleeps away, as Wild Man reminded me this afternoon.  We're almost ready.  We've bought all the gifts for the boys, including a joint gift from Yetta (yes, despite being pissed I bought a gift "from her" to the boys; she'll pay us back at some point, I think).  I've baked two kinds of cookies, and I will bake at least two more kinds tomorrow.  I've also baked buttermilk cakes for all the teachers in our lives (for a total of five cakes); the boys delivered these to their respective teachers on Monday along with gift cards.  I've shopped for Archer, and I've ordered gifts for our parents, which I believe have already arrived.  Today we shopped at Costco, so the fridge is stocked.  What is left?  Tomorrow I have to make a quick trip to the grocery store for a few more essentials, and we have to wrap, wrap, wrap.  On Christmas Eve, we have to put together the boys' train table, which is currently hidden in our basement.  I also have to make sticky buns for Christmas morning and prepare a pumpkin pie along with two other yet to be determined side dishes that we're taking with to our friends who have generously invited us to share Christmas dinner with them (yay, I don't have to cook the whole meal!).  Archer has to make a quick trip to the liquor store to purchase some wine for Christmas Eve and Christmas day festivities.  We both have to help Wild Man and Bear compose their annual thank you note to Santa.  Beyond that, we're ready for the holiday. 

Ultimately I'm glad we ended up not traveling, although I will miss seeing my good friend Prudence, as well as our dear friends Supadiscomama and Harrogate, who now live about three hours from our families in Home State (thanks to some good fortune bestowed by the academic gods).  But we will have a low key holiday, which we're all really looking forward to. 

3 comments:

supadiscomama said...

Although I was looking forward to seeing you all, I'm glad you don't have to deal with the stress of traveling for Christmas. I look forward to seeing the pics :)

rented life said...

Happy Holidays!

M said...

Supa, I will not miss the four days in the car, but I will definitely miss you and your boys!

RL, I hope you have a wonderful holiday as well.