Tuesday, December 06, 2011

A small vent

Ok, so I first want to begin by saying that I rarely vent about my students in a public forum.  Do I complain to my colleagues?  Absolutely, but I have rarely vented about students on this blog or on Facebook.

Now, I am getting really annoyed by the number of people I know who publicly complain about their children's teachers.  Seriously, people, please do not assume that your child, whether high school or college age, is brilliant and that hir teacher is an idiot.  It is entirely possible that your child made a mistake and deserved the less than stellar grade the teacher assigned.  Not all teachers are stupid, just as not all students are stupid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, totally.

M said...

I was especially annoyed when I found out that the child in question received the "poor" mark because said child didn't follow directions. The parent actually emailed me the assignment prompt to see if I could help determine what happened. I said, "Um yes, the directions state this; your kid didn't do that." The parent said, "But my child went above and beyond what the assignment required." I said, "Yes, but zie didn't follow directions. Zie has to follow directions. By not following directions, zie didn't show the teacher that zie understood the assignment. Tell your kid to follow directions."

Seriously. I'm really happy your kid is brilliant, but being brilliant will only get the kid so far if the kid consistently proves that zie can't follow directions.