Saturday, December 03, 2011

Something fun, but work related

So I'm about to start a new project, and I will be focusing on some fairly obscure writers.  This means I need to buy quite a few books.  But many of the books are out of print.  Luckily I get a fairly generous professional development account from CU, but still, I'm looking at spending around $500 for 8 books or so.  On top of that, I can't get any guarantee from the booksellers that I'll be able to get the books.  If they are able to get the books for me, it may take 3 months before I have them.  So I started doing some research on E-readers.  I was really interested in the Sony E-Reader, mainly because it isn't connected to Amazon (perhaps not a valid reason, I know) and because it seems very sturdy (I'm under no illusions that Bear and Wild Man won't ever use it).  I spent about an hour on the online store, however, and I quickly found out that I can't get half of the books I want.  So I turned to Amazon. I found this Kindle, and after a bit of research, I found I can get almost all of the books I want for free or less than $5 each.  I double checked with the admin assistant in the department to ensure I could use my professional development funds for such a purchase.  She assured me I could, so I've ordered it.  Hooray!  It should arrive before the holiday, which means if we do get to go on our trip I'll have plenty of reading to do without lugging heavy books with us.  It's the little things that make me happy right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This isn't a little thing! Yay!