Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Annoying children

I wrote this yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to post it until today.

Ok, so I’m a mom, and I have taken Wild Man on many, many plane rides. I understand how difficult it can be to keep an infant quiet or to keep a toddler occupied. Generally, I’m sympathetic to the kids and parents, especially when the parent is traveling alone on a long flight with his or her child. But if the little girl behind me kicks my seat one more time, I think I’m going to rip her foot off. I’ve been trying to work on my defense presentation for the duration of the flight, and on more than one occasion I’ve found myself typing snippets of the very loud conversation that mother and daughter are having. I’m getting increasingly annoyed, and I really want to turn around and ask them to use their “inside voices.” This little girl is about four, so she should know what an inside voice is. And her mother, who has had her Chanel sunglasses on for the entire flight, should definitely know how an inside voice is. . .

3 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I was flying with a friend who got air sick. At one point I even stood up and found extra air sick bags for her.. begging one from the mother behind us. After I got the bag, her 9 or 10 year old son started to kick my friend's seat. I looked directly at him and asked him to stop, as it was making my friend puke. He gave me a blank look and kept kicking. I looked at the mom and asked her to ask her son to stop, she said -- "He can't help it"... I said, 'he has to reach out to kick her seat, the dozen or so kicks are no accident'. The kid looked at me and said 'I don't care if I make her sic' -- and the mom had no reaction.

It seems that he comes by it naturally...

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. My darling son spilled a drink on a lady on our way back to our seats from the airplane bathroom. Technically he bumped into her arm, which bumped into the tray, which knocked the drink off the tray, but still. I was mortified. He went back to her seat to apologize and she was so sweet about it. But the air gods got us back anyway. On our return flight I put my carry-on bag under the seat in front of me....unknowingly, into a big puddle of spilled drink from the plane's previous flight.

M said...

Jennie,
Here's the difference between you and your son and the mother and daughter I encountered (and the one that ITPF described): you and your son apologized and felt horrible. This mother and daughter not only showed no remorse for their actions, but neither seemed to realize that they were doing anything amiss.