Friday, May 29, 2009

Baby Preparations

I should be working on course prep for the fall so I am not so overwhelmed come August, but I'm not. Instead I'm marveling at all we've done in the past 2 weeks to get prepared for Z's arrival. Here's a rundown of some of the things we've done.
  • Washed and organized all baby clothes.
  • Organized coat closet.
  • Replaced the heater in her room with a more energy efficient model (the one drawback of our townhome is that it uses baseboard heaters that are about 20 years old. Given the makeup of the house, installing a furnace or central heat isn't an option, so we're slowly replacing the old heaters with more energy efficient ones.)
  • Purchased bottles, bath products, changing pad, wipes, and nursing pads.
  • Pulled breast pump and all related items, pack n'play, infant car seat, and infant bath tub out of storage.
  • Disinfected everything that needs to be disinfected.
  • Put infant car seat in car.
  • Set up pack n'play in living room, where Z will nap and we will change her (rather than walking upstairs every time she needs to be changed).
  • Purchased used Baby Bjorn (the one with back support).
  • Packed Z's diaper bag and put it in the car.
  • Begun packing my bag for hospital.
  • Made arrangements for Wild Man for when I go into labor.
  • Cooked and frozen about 12 meals.
C has done a lot of home improvement projects that aren't necessarily related to Z's arrival, but they are projects that needed to be done before she got here (or else they wouldn't get done until who knows when.)
  • Replaced floor trim in bathroom.
  • Painted upstairs hallway.
  • Replaced floor trim in upstairs hallway.
  • Painted all bedroom and closet doors.
  • Replaced doorknobs on all bedroom and closet doors.
  • Painted downstairs hallway.
We've done all of these things while C has been working on an article and I've been completing the revisions mandated by my committee (which, I freely admit, I'm completing at a snail's pace). We're also making a concerted effort to do some special things with Wild Man, including going to the Farmer's Market (he loves the Farmer's Market!), getting ice cream (ok, this is more about me than him, but I never met a 2-year-old who turned down ice cream), planting flowers, and going to the park. He has even helped C paint and helped me put Z's clothes away. I honestly feel like I could go into labor now without worrying about anything. And that, of course, means that Z will be a week late.

2 comments:

Lilian said...

I'm glad you got so much done!! Good for you and Kudos to C!! You're ready now!

Only one suggestion: do try to get the revisions done before she's here.

M said...

I'm working on them at this very moment, Lilian, although it is very, very slow going. I'd rather be reading something for fun right now!