Friday, January 16, 2009

Pink, Pink, and More Pink

During a day that is mostly devoted to my dissertation, I took a lunchtime break to do some online browsing for Z. We had previously thought that Z would get Wild Man's room part and parcel as we're moving Wild Man into the room that is currently my office and I will be taking over the room that is currently C's office (it turns out C doesn't need an office at home; he works better from school, and when he does work at home, he takes over the dining room table.). But the more we talked about these impending spatial changes, C said "You know, it doesn't seem fair that Z gets nothing new." He went on to recognize that he knows Z won't give a damn about her bedroom or bedding, but still. I see the validity of his point. Wild Man was our first, and he got lots of new stuff out of necessity. Z will be getting lots of hand-me-downs, including hand-me-down furniture while Wild Man will be getting new (at least to him) furniture with Z's arrival. On some level, it does feel like Z is getting screwed, at least materially.

So I took a few minutes while I ate my lunch to peruse some nursery bedding for Z. I found pink, pink, and more pink with some lavender occasionally mixed in. I do not want a pink room. Don't get me wrong; I like pink just fine, but I don't want a pink room. I just don't. Ideally, I'd like something to go in the current room so we don't have to paint; after all, we just painted the entire upstairs in September. Thus, I need something to go in a light aqua colored room. Let me tell you, there isn't much that is considered to be for girls that goes with light aqua. In fact there isn't much without flowers, ruffles, or fairies. I could go for something plain white with a little pink in the trim, but really, what is the fun in that? For boys, there are lots of things that go with light aqua, but as progressive as I am I don't think I want Z to have dinosaurs, trucks, or sailboats. I'd really like something with animals, which is what we ultimately chose for Wild Man. But apparently girls only like lambs, bunny rabbits, or butterflies--romping in vast fields of pink gingham. It looks like we will be choosing something that is gender-neutral for Z just like we did for Wild Man.

10 comments:

p-duck said...

We had an awful time avoiding the multitude of girly stuff out there when we decorated ducklings room. We went with pale green and a farm-meets-peter rabbit theme. There are--or at least there were--some farm and jungle themed animal collections out there in gender neutral colors.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

ugh...make the pink stop! I was lucky in that my sister gave me a full set of crib bedding that was classic winnie the pooh, in cream hues with some pink but also yellow and blue. Totally neutral without being all about green and ducks. although green and ducks are okay. It's just kind of limited.

winnie the pooh is pretty good actually, as far as gender neutrality, especially if you get classic pooh, which they usually have at target. Unless you dislike winnie the pooh for some reason.

Anonymous said...

that was confusing...it's prettier if you get classic pooh, without being girly. disney pooh is a little less pleasing to my eyeball.

M said...

I agree totally about Classic Pooh, Anastasia. Unfortunately, there aren't Targets in Canada.

supadiscomama said...

I'm a fan of primary colors myself :) I loved the Alphabet Pottery Barn set that Jeezy (or Toddler J) had! But I have no doubt that you'll find something that's just perfect :)

supadiscomama said...

Besides, I think that the crib bedding is more about what you like and less about what that baby likes!

M said...

It is, of course, more about me than about Z. She'll probably be the girliest girl that ever was simply because I'm not!

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Yeah, the pink gets kind of excessive (and I really do like pink). I have been frustrated by how many things come in either pink or blue, but no other colors.

We painted bambina's room a deep purple color with white trim (it gets a lot of light, so it doesn't look too dark), and had actually picked the color before we knew her sex because we really liked it. Her furniture is white. I've tried to accent with green ... and her bedding ended up being green, yellow, and pink, selected because it has little birds on it that look just like my little bird and on that basis I couldn't resist. I did, however, resist from buying the supposedly matching accessories which were just too pink.

Good luck finding something that you like!

Anonymous said...

One of my friends decorated a nursery for twins (boy and girl) with bumble bees. It was really cute, mostly white with black gingham trim, and little bees on the bedding. Of course the walls were yellow with white trim, so I don't know about the aqua. Another less girly-girl option is a lady bug theme. I saw a really cute set when I was pregnant with Luke (although it was quite expensive so I never seriously considered it). Or you could just make your study into the baby's room and keep Wild Man in the aqua room.

thursdaynext.21 said...

My older sister had raggedy ann and andy-- all primary blue white and read. That's actually pretty gender neutral while still acknowledging gender.

Also, my friend in NE is having a women make her bedding for her, from fabric she chooses. If you want I can find out her info. Mariah is getting seattle seahawks bedding made.