Friday, January 16, 2009

Wild Man announces. . .

that he will nurse Baby Z.

We've been talking with Wild Man about nursing and Z off and on for a few weeks. At first, he wanted no part of any such conversation, telling me adamantly that "Z can have bottle, Mommy." Wild Man apparently still remembers nursing, and when he's having a bad day or even a bad moment, he still wants to snuggle with me and always puts his hand on one of my breasts. He is fascinated by breastfeeding of any kind and will approach perfect strangers he sees nursing to ask them about it. We've been talking about it because I anticipate this will be the primary source of jealousy for Wild Man when Z arrives. Every time we've talked about it, he has offered alternatives for Z, even telling C "Daddy, Baby Z will eat your nu-nus (Wild Man's word for breasts)."

Last night may have marked a change though. As I was dressing him for bed, he asked to see my belly and said "Mommy, I kiss Baby Z." Then he looked down at his chest and said "Baby Z will eat my nu-nus, Mommy!" Maybe this won't be such an issue after all . . .

4 comments:

AcadeMama said...

It might work out well if Wild Man has a baby doll he can pretend to nurse while you nurse Z. I just recently explained to Eliza that her baby sister will get milk from my breasts, and she decided she'd like to give that a try now too!

M said...

Wild Man already has a baby that he occasionally nurses. Of course, when it comes time to burp the doll, his preferred method is to throw the doll across the room. Clearly, we have to work on Wild Man's parenting skills!

Kate said...

Ok, that was a really sweet story. It will be so interesting to see how Wild Man reacts to your growing tummy! You're doing such a wonderful job with him.

L said...

Hmmm, it might be a problem, even if he's playful about it. I tandem nursed precisely to try to avoid this kind of jealousy and it did help.

Linton also pretended he was nursing for a long while (over 6 months) after we weaned back in 2007 (he was 3).