Thursday, July 24, 2008

To Harrogate

Dear Harrogate,

Yours is the second in the series of tributes I have planned in the next week, and given your relationship with Supadiscomama, it seems appropriate that yours should follow hers.

I love you, my friend, because, despite (or perhaps in spite) of your cynicism about all things political you always manage to find the best in those you love. Your inability to see or even say anything negative about those you care about is so wonderful, and as much as I have mocked you for it, it is the thing I love best about you. But there are so many things I love about you, and I want to share a few with you.
  • You are always happy to offer a hug, and as a hugger myself, I appreciate that.
  • You constantly remind me that I, in fact, can do what it is that I've set out to do at Southwest College.
  • You are one of the few men I've ever met who is willing to let me (or any of your female friends) cry on your shoulder without showing any signs of discomfort, and you often join me when I need to cry.
  • You laugh, love, and live with your whole heart.
I want to share one of my fondest memories of you, Harrogate, keeping in mind that there are far too many to count. The day your son was born C and I visited you and Supadiscomama at the hospital. As I held Supadisco-T in my arms, several of our friends asked me about my decision to give birth Wild Man, with whom I was about 6 months pregnant at the time, without medication. The discussion got uncomfortable, and I was upset by it. I tried hard not to show it because I didn't want to take away from the obvious joy you and Supadiscomama felt. But as C and I left, I remember that you pulled me aside and you said, "M, ignore them. If that is what you want to do, you can do it." I will never forget that on one of the happiest days of your life when you had so much more to think about you took a moment to encourage me. I will miss being able to walk down to your office for that (sometimes daily) dose of encouragement, but I know you will continue to offer it up in other ways.

Love,
M.

2 comments:

harrogate said...

Dear m,

Your post turned me into mush for the day. I suppose I've been putting off the reality of you guys moving as something that will happen "later," but now, here we are.


As close as our families became when we first met way back in the day, it seems like since our little boys came into the picture, everything really took off to another level between the, ahem, adults.

In your wonderful post to supa you wrote of the way she picks up Wildman. Man I loved reading that. And you must know that the loving way you and c interact with our son hits me like a ton of bricks, every time I witness it.

I can't say how much you, c, and Wildman mean to me, each of you as individuals, and all of you together. I can and do say, though, that there is no way in hell we won't stay in touch with each other early and often.

Not to sound stalky, girl, but you can rest assured you'll not be rid of me in this lifetime.

M said...

I am so happy to know that I will not be rid of you, Harrogate, nor would I ever want to be.