Friday, January 11, 2008

Back in my office

Today is the first day of 2008 that I've spent in my office on campus--almost the whole day. I've been experimenting with working at home, and I have to say, I think I like working at home better. Yes, there are all the distractions of home--TV, housework, laundry, etc. Yesterday, for example, I started my day off by vacuuming the entire house and mopping the kitchen floor rather than just sitting down at work. But there are an equal number of distractions at school--as evidenced by the number of conversations I had today. I think I will be spending more time working from home this semester, as I have proven to myself that I can get as much work done from home as I can from school.

On a different note, I have written over 35 pages for my Wharton chapter, and there is still no end in sight. I realize now that I could devote my entire dissertation to this novel. To put an end to my writing I'm imposing a deadline on myself: I must submit a complete draft of this chapter to my advisor by Jan. 30, 2008. After all, I've got to move on to other chapters. . . right?

1 comment:

Lilian said...

I'm glad you can work equally well (if not better) at home. I can't work well anywhere... I just get constantly distracted. And it's not just the dissertation, i'm a scattered person with everything. I'm glad you're making so much progress!