Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Hillary gets emotional

Apparently this is my morning to be pissed off because all the stories about Hillary Rodham Clinton getting emotional are pissing me off too. I mean, give me a flippin' break! The media villifies her for being too pragmatic, too focused, too robotic, and (gasp!) not feminine enough. And then when she gets emotional (have you seen the coverage? I actually think she responded to the question from the heart and got choked up.), the media castigates her for showing what they've said she was lacking--emotion! Ok, I get the point that she needs to allow herself to be unscripted more often, and to a certain extent, I agree. But cut the woman some slack! She responded the way the media and political pundits have been wanting her to respond: in the moment, without considering the implication of her response. Why isn't anyone asking why Barack Obama or John Edwards aren't showing more emotion? Hmmm. . . could it be because they're men?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know what else pisses me off? The headline on yahoo said "clinton gets emotional as poll numbers sag" or something like that, making it sound like she was cracking under the pressure or something and then I watch it and it's not even about that.

i thought it was a lovely moment.