Monday, January 07, 2008

Belated New Year's Resolution

I making a belated New Year's Resolution. Here it is: I vow to try to stop reading online entertainment news sites and to stop watching any sort of entertainment television at all. I'm making this resolution largely because of the recent coverage of Britney Spears' life. Somehow I had managed not to hear anything about her life for several days. This morning I turned on the Today show (Wild Man is absolutely in love with Meredith Vierra), and I saw Matt Lauer interviewing Starr Jones about Britney Spears. As I watched (I swear this stuff is like a train wreck; it becomes physically impossible to look away), I became disgusted. Disgusted with the paparazzi--is it really necessary to surround an ambulance to photograph a troubled young woman as her vitals are taken? Disgusted with the news media--is it really necessary to discuss this stuff on the Today Show? I mean, I know the show isn't exactly hard hitting news, but it isn't Entertainment Tonight either. And finally disgusted with myself--why was I watching? Why is it any of my business what is going on in this young woman's life? It isn't, quite frankly. So I've decided that the only way I can make a difference is to stop watching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction to the recent coverage. I swear to god, we did this to her and we're doing this to her. and I am beginning to understand how I am complicit in her destruction.